Weird

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Weather here has been weird here normally August is blazing hot but not so much.. I wonder if winter is going to be a major arctic blast. Anyone else having weird weather? It was in the upper 50's several morning and I put a jacket on

Not playing out the normal script here. Pastures and yards are green. Not as hot as usual but humid. A very nice summer!

Green here too, and as far as I can tell, we've had only 2 days of temps over 100 degrees so far. We are a little low on year-to-date rainfall but not much. It's not important how much total rain has fallen during the year, but when it falls, and so far, it has come when we needed it most, unlike last year when it all came in April and May and flooding was widespread, but July and Aug were pretty dry.
In 2011, we had 24 consecutive 100+ degree days From AUG 1 thru Aug 24....
Normal is about 4-8 days of 100 deg temps.
We had no winter last year. I fed a lot of hay last winter, but mostly because of the dry summer and fall.

Very hot and pretty dry for us. I usually have standing water on 40% of the place at this time of the year. Dry right now. It will take a tropical storm to bring us up to normal.

We are overall still dry and all but had rain more in the last week than last 2 months. If it stays this dry I doubt I plant any oats.

Sky, I sure did enjoy those few days of cooler weather. Lucky you had it in the 50's! We're back to the 90's with sauna-like humidity. :(

I wonder about this winter, because things have been going fairly smoothly, that is the weird part, for around my area.

We finally got some rain last week, but nothing spectacular-it lasted maybe 2 hours of drizzle. Temps have been overly hot, but the irrigation has helped. It would be nice if it cooled off and would rain a few times in the next month or so.

It is hot but I have seen it a lot hotter. It has rained this summer so still got green grass. I have been wondering what winter is going to be like

We had those 2 mnths with no rain, even though the total amount for the year was ahead by a foot. Everything burned up and dried up. Started feeding hay a couple of weeks ago. Then the rains came back, a little more then normal but not much. Now have grass coming out my ears and the cows are squirting like early spring

TennesseeTuxedo":2srrovvh said:
Bright Raven":2srrovvh said:
I can coast into winter with the pasture I got. But I hope we get some rain this fall.

Most of us are not operating a petting zoo so we need abundant rain and growing grass to remain in the black.

I like my petting zoo.

We had a wet spring and early June it stopped and hasn't come back. Set new records for most days in a row with no rain along with record high heat. I was under stocked this year so I still have a couple weeks of grass left but when that is gone there will be nothing left.

Bright Raven":pm0vjid3 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":pm0vjid3 said:
Bright Raven":pm0vjid3 said:
I can coast into winter with the pasture I got. But I hope we get some rain this fall.

Most of us are not operating a petting zoo so we need abundant rain and growing grass to remain in the black.

I like my petting zoo.

I'd run 50-60 head on your place and not blink an eye.

TennesseeTuxedo":2s587qsz said:
Bright Raven":2s587qsz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2s587qsz said:

I like my petting zoo.

TT. Take out infrastructure and woods, that is one cow per acre. I could probably go 5 more.

Bright Raven":1xdk1gbf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1xdk1gbf said:
Bright Raven":1xdk1gbf said:
I like my petting zoo.

TT. Take out infrastructure and woods, that is one cow per acre. I could probably go 5 more.

I'm running 34 cows and a bull on 40 acres at the house. 30 calves on the ground as well. Oh, and we pulled 92 rolls off the back 15 of those acres in the spring.

Latest posts