Weird weather

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Today was one of those days that seems to go against mother nature it was -20c and started to rain, rained till everything had a good coat of ice.( Terrible time taking twines off bales) then it turned to snow and wind picked up got to be a bad blizzard. My girls were whining at the door so I just had to let them in for a warm drink of water and a rest in front of the fire.

They look so proud to be warm. Pretty dogs. Wish I could bring my baby calves inside tonight. It is very cold here in Middle GA. The ground is very wet.

They sure do look happy to be indoors!

My friend near Vernon had miserable weather over the weekend.. Snowed for 48 hours straight, he got 3 feet of snow in that time, and had no place to plow it to anymore... He got his friend who has a Zoomboom to pile it...

We're at -14, with a wind chill of -27. (I'm on a ridge, so I think our wind chill is actually colder. I have honestly never felt this kind of cold. Or have forgotten it! :lol2:

I usually don't mind cold, but this is getting downright frosty. We've had intermittent snow and these rural hilly roads are now a sheet of ice--nothing is melting, just glazing over.

Feel bad for any beast out in this tonight. It really does remind you how close we are to times when humans had no real shelter or warmth from these kind of temps. I really do wonder how the species survived, and feel like we have surely lost the ability to do so. I certainly have, at any rate!

I honestly don't know how you folks can cope with weather like that. We're having a tuff time here and it's nothing like what y'all have going on. Stay safe and try to stay warm.

highgrit":11prp0yg said:
I honestly don't know how you folks can cope with weather like that. We're having a tuff time here and it's nothing like what y'all have going on. Stay safe and try to stay warm.
We see this weather every year so a person plans for it and it is no big deal if it gives you a break once in a while. I feel sorry for you southerners that only see this once in a long while and have a hard time planning for something that only comes along every couple of years. I had a friend from Austraila that came for a visit one summer, he had to ask why all the vehicles had electrical cords hanging out the front he had never heard of block heaters before (he thought it had to do with electric start) They would be in quite a fix if it suddenly got that cold at his home. I remember one winter it got -40 to -60 f for almost 10 days straight that was starting to get serious here but when it warmed up to -20f felt great that was the worst winter I remember and I have only been there once hope to not see again. You had to keep hay in front of cows all the time they never quit eating had to just to keep warm.

Old fellow around here lived in a high valley, He fed hay with horses and a drag sled. He said it was so cold the cows wouldn't come out to eat, he had to go to them and feed in the trees.. I think he said it was about -45C

I'm spoiled.. I start to wuss out around -25C

I actually plowed snow off the driveway and yard for the first time in 6 years.. forecast calls for just above to just below freezing for the next couple weeks, and I figured it might be nice to have some spots that don't turn into a sheet of ice

I figured out why for comparable lattitudes you guys get so much colder over there. You have continual land mass that goes right up to the north pole or at least the narrow gap of water gets frozen over at this time of the year. Your weather gets no heating by going over large tracts of water coming down from the north. In Australia our winter weather comes up from the south but has to travel over large tracts of the Southern ocean and seeing that the water is not frozen there is considerable warming. I guess this is one of the advantages of being an island nation, probably one of the few weather related advantages we have.
I think the snow would be a bit of novelty at first but can see how you would soon tire of it. I don't know how you get anything done in that cold, I know on our winter mornings when the temp might be -4C and wearing gloves my fingers quickly go numb and I am useless to do anything using fingers.
Stay safe and warm, that "cabin fever" must be a pretty real condition for a lot of you guys too?
Ken

wbvs58":5vjzktrw said:
I figured out why for comparable lattitudes you guys get so much colder over there. You have continual land mass that goes right up to the north pole or at least the narrow gap of water gets frozen over at this time of the year. Your weather gets no heating by going over large tracts of water coming down from the north. In Australia our winter weather comes up from the south but has to travel over large tracts of the Southern ocean and seeing that the water is not frozen there is considerable warming. I guess this is one of the advantages of being an island nation, probably one of the few weather related advantages we have.
I think the snow would be a bit of novelty at first but can see how you would soon tire of it. I don't know how you get anything done in that cold, I know on our winter mornings when the temp might be -4C and wearing gloves my fingers quickly go numb and I am useless to do anything using fingers.
Stay safe and warm, that "cabin fever" must be a pretty real condition for a lot of you guys too?
Ken

I can't speak for others but I tend to get invigorated and energetic in the truly brutal cold---up to a point! Then again, I live in my snowpants all winter. I have bad circulation in my hands and feet or I would hold up much better. (My family calls me a polar bear). Now, put me in a hot or muggy climate and I get woozy!
I tend to get cabin fever in February or early March, jonesing for that first day that's 45 F but feels like a spring day when it's been 10-25 for weeks! I like the fact that by mid-Feb., the daylight is already a wee bit longer. The darkness gets to me more than the cold.

Oh we know all about cabin fever here.. Especially before we built our shop!... we had about a 700 sq ft house, so we had no place to be but in each others hair.. Now at least we can work in a nice warm shop.

when I was in school, the bus stopped about 3 miles from my place and I had a little Honda Trail CT70. If it would start, I'd ride it there and back.. coldest I ever managed to start it was -22C.

We always have a good big woodpile to burn, enough hay for the cows, and a water line that's buried 6-8 feet underground... We learned the importance of that the first winter we had cows and had to bucket water from the creek for 12 cows and 12 calves!

Boondocks.. Around here it's the same.. the darkness can get to you more than the cold.. since we're in a pretty tight valley, even on a sunny day we only get 2 hours tops of sun, but it can also cloud over and just be gray for weeks at a time. Springtime brings wind.. lots and lots of nagging, gusting south winds that blows stuff all around, and manages to find any hole in your shirt to blow cold air on you too

I think I would have to have a good heated workshop to survive those conditions. I use my workshop as a bit of a refuge during a run of hot days here in summer, I have a big industrial fan that keeps the air moving and makes things tolerable. I save up a few jobs for those days.
Ken

We get the heat in the summer too.. I just enjoy it more. Since we have plenty of gravity fed water, I have a big fan behind a radiator I run cool creek water through.. it works pretty good for a cheap air conditioner... I'm not looking to get the shop *cool*, I just want it to be tolerable!

Latest posts