Weird Extra Teat Location--Problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Howdy,
A question but first some background.
Background: We have a cow or two with a pair of small extra teats in the back, and everyone here assured me it would likely be no problem. So far it has not been, although the vet has said that we should snip any extras at birth.

Current (non?)issue: Got a first-timer due any day and she is starting to bag up (reg. Angus). This one also has just popped with an small extra set of teats; however, this pair is in the MIDDLE of the 2 usual-sized pairs; they even seem to be at a bit of a weird angle, like maybe they are coming off the back ones a bit. Have never seen this, but to my eye looks like it might be more of an issue, or at least bears watching?

Thanks!

cowgirl8":3t5c32aq said:
It happens....
...but why???? Things usually happen for a reason...

Boondocks - Intercalary teats are found between the normal teats, ramal teats are those that sort of grow off of another teat. Caudal teats are the little ones that usually grow at the back as 'extra' teats.
It is hereditary. In some cases the supernumerary teat can produce milk. We used to just snip them off with a pair of scissors when the calf was still young.

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you make sure the calf is drinking off the 4 normal teats and getting adequate milk.

extra teats dont hurt a thing on a beef cow.its normal to find extra teats if you look for them.all the years we milked cows we never removed extra teats.

It's in the genes. Each one with the similar condition can be traced back to a common ancestor. Had one bull that did that as it was only found in his daughters. Never affected production and it has been bred out in the next generation. Looks terrible and I would never try to sell such an animal as a breeding animal - but I am completely anal about correct udders and feet.

Nothing to be concerned with, bet there is more cows with extra than not and more people don't cut them off than do
Just let your cows be cattle some things will take care of its self.
I had a cow that milked in 5,I guess they all gave cause the calf would sure nurse all 5,

Thanks all. I've been very surprised at the prevalence of "extras" in beefers--not just ours. I'd like to breed it out but sounds like that's hard to do, or at least not worth focusing on (to the possible detriment of other, more-important traits)...

The cow in question calved today. Had a nice bag. Will see which teats get nursed....

Latest posts