weird eating or non eating habits

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Bought 5 Limousin steers 2 weeks ago and they are running with 6 Angus cross steers/heifers. We are feeding them out and they all eat well when I feed them each day. But one of the Limousin steers only sniffs around through the feed, occasionally eating small amounts but mainly just sniffing and pushing the feed around. He will do this for awhile and then go up and down the fence row eating grass/clover. All the others eat well and can't wait for me to put it out. He is a bit more skiddish than the others.

Every once in a while you will run into one that just won't eat grain, or that takes a long time to get onto it. You can even separate them and try to force feed it (feed it exclusively). But once you turn them out again, they will often quit eating it again.

The daughter's 4-H heifer was like that. Wouldn't hardly eat grain all winter. But suddenly she got onto it, and now, you just about have to beat her off to get the grain in the trough.

I have a bottle calf like that. Don't know what it is-I guess they just don't like the taste of grain! It sure is frustrating, though. With goats I give them a shot of Vitamin B and that sometimes perks up their appetite.

jonbri55":24hc4gwa said:
I have a bottle calf like that. Don't know what it is-I guess they just don't like the taste of grain! It sure is frustrating, though. With goats I give them a shot of Vitamin B and that sometimes perks up their appetite.

Vit B complex definately works to make them feel better so that they have a normal (healthy) apetite in the case of animals with a fever or other form of illness, whether it will do much for apetite in healthy animals I seriously doubt.

When we wean the "keeper" heifers we put them on grain in the pen and it takes them a couple days to get a taste for it.........but they deffentataly don't "push it away"