weird calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jletts

Reaction score
I have a calf about 3 months old and it has problems; it doesn't bend it's back legs and has trouble getting around. When it walks, one leg is always off the ground. It used to eat grass with its' front bottom knuckles bent over but it has gotten over that. It sucks the cow no problem and is otherwise healthy and growing. Any ideas??

jletts":2xvsbwwi said:
I have a calf about 3 months old and it has problems; it doesn't bend it's back legs and has trouble getting around. When it walks, one leg is always off the ground. It used to eat grass with its' front bottom knuckles bent over but it has gotten over that. It sucks the cow no problem and is otherwise healthy and growing. Any ideas??

What breed is it? What is the genetics behind that breeding? Where are you located?

If he is growing and eating then I would keep him untill weaning and then take him to the sale barn if he is not COMPLETLY over it.

txshowmom":10pfktrs said:
If he is growing and eating then I would keep him untill weaning and then take him to the sale barn if he is not COMPLETLY over it.
You will take a beating at the auction. have him butchered and put in your own freezer

OldTex":19tay7mr said:
You will take a beating at the auction. have him butchered and put in your own freezer

Old Tex, I hate to dissagree w/ you but, depending on how bad this calf is, he may not make it to freezer weight.

jletts":3udnsnj0 said:
It sucks the cow no problem and is otherwise healthy and growing. Any ideas??

If it is healthy and growing he can have some cheap beef rather than take the beating. Make ground beef with the whole thing. If nothing else feed the dog. Certainly cheaper than dog feed.

jletts":2tnbhemf said:

Had a calf that didn't bend back legs several years back, it never got over it, but the only thing that the vet and I could figure out was that the calf may have been hung up for awhile during birth. Really didn't do that bad at the sale barn.

jletts.........was that calf born that way.

If so check your mineral program. Sounds a lot like something we had happen. Best to ask a vet

What breed is it? What is the genetics behind that breeding? Where are you located?[/quote]

It is a Simmental/hereford cross. Excellent genetics and background. Never had this problem before. Easy calvers, good mineral program/immunization, etc.

jletts":1rk5rijq said:

Arthrogryposis
Unknown plant toxin while in utero
Selenium toxicity while in utero
Joint ill--unlikely but I guess possible
Mycoplasmal infection
Developmental anomaly of no set cause
Other...

Doesn't your vet have any ideas? We can sometimes be reservoirs of odd information...as you can tell...

I haven't gotten a vet's comment, as if I was to do this, it would cost more than we would get for the calf. Prices here are absolutely terrible. $0.07/lb for a bull on the hoof! by the time a vet comes to look, the vet bill is more than the animal is worth (goes for cows too).

thx for the responses though.

Latest posts