weining weights

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2":3kt1b0e3 said:
Whats a good target number for Reg. Angus Heifer 205 day weight?

I really like to see 600+ in our heifers. But, according to the Fall 2009 Angus sire summary, average heifer weaning weights reported to the Angus Assn in 2008 was 584 lbs. Does that help?

Kinda depends on what the rest of the herd did and what your trying to do.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1dw2s6tv said:
critterair2":1dw2s6tv said:

I would say at least 600+ no matter the breed.
I think we need to know what the intentions are first. Yes, 600+ pounds would be nice but if you are looking for moderate-framed replacements would the goal remain the same? Just something to keep in mind.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2s25f70w said:
critterair2":2s25f70w said:

I believe you said earlier you run Simmentals. I have a small herd of simmental and sim/angus. Just wondering at what age you usually take your steers off the cow and your average weight ?

fitz

In a minimal input system under tough conditions aim for 45 - 50% of the cow's weight with cow in a minimum of BCS 5 when weaning at 205 days.

fitz":1cwh8k14 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":1cwh8k14 said:
critterair2":1cwh8k14 said:

I believe you said earlier you run Simmentals. I have a small herd of simmental and sim/angus. Just wondering at what age you usually take your steers off the cow and your average weight ?

fitz

205 days and they average around 725.

I think it depends on your conditions and your market. Around here we don't get paid all that well for heavy calves so there is no great incentive to drive weaning weight up into the high sixs (other than too brag about). Commercial replacement heifers shouldn't wean at less than 500 or more than 620 (in my opinion)........sell both sets of outliers.

Out of curiousity, how do you measure your birth weights (normal scales, mobile scales?), and how long after birth is it done?

Edit: Sorry, misread the post :oops:

HerefordSire":jbjqaiso said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":jbjqaiso said:
critterair2":jbjqaiso said:

Anything less would be hard to make overhead.

Perhaps your overheads are too high?......

According to most financial analyses of producer records (SPA, Chaps, etc.) weaning weight only explains about 5% +/- of the variation in profitibility among cow-calf herds. Feed costs by themselves usually explain over 50% of the variation. Overhead investment per cow may explain 15 to 20% of the variation. Weaning weight is one of the last things I ever worry about. Net return per cow is how we set our performance goal.

wyattbower":thbqq9ra said:
This is a newbie question but why is the standard a 205 day weining weight?
Becasue years ago BIF decided that would be the standard since there was no standard before then

By adjusting the weights as if all the animals are exactly 205 days old, it lets you compare apples to apples. Otherwise you would be comparing earlier-born, older calves, who of course should weigh more, to the later-born, younger and probably lighter calves. This adjustment evens up the playing field. The formula came from the Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) Guidelines. You used to have to buy the book but I bet it's online now. Just don't have time now to search it up for ya, sorry.

Thanks for the answers. So do you folks always try to weigh a few every year at the 205 day mark or is that in your standard practices to weigh/vaccinate every calf on the 205 day?

That is the reason for the adjusted weaning weights, so when you wean your calves the six month old calves can be adjusted up and the eight month old calves can be adjusted down.

Latest posts