Weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
We really don't know what to do with this bull calf. At our county show, there are never any american steers. So he should be american grand champion and make the sale. The only problem with this is that he would have to weight 900lbs by March the 1st. He was born on April 18th (5 months old.) His BW was around 100 & at 7 weeks weight 295 lbs. Here is a current picture. How much do you think he weighs?

Prospect_calves_003.jpg

Prospect_calves_006.jpg

id say at 5 months old he would weigh 450 to 475.but he is a deceiving calf could be smaller or bigger than i think.but either way he has a thick butt on him.nice looking steer.an he should weigh 900lbs by mar 2007.

Have you tagged him in for your co. fair? Chance showed a simbrah cross steer that was 11 months old at our county fair a couple years ago, he weighed in at 1050 for the fair. Put him on the scales and do the math. I would think that he will weigh a 1000 plus by March 1st.

mom

I wish we had a scale or access to one. Where do you find a public scale to weigh him on? Knowing his weight would make our decision on whether to cut him or not a little easier. It is hard to eat the ones that have been on the show road with the momma cow.

Our county validation is not until December 1st for steers. We have a little time there, but he needs to be cut if we are going to cut him.

Thanks for the replies.

Get a weight tape. Then you'll at least have a reasonable guessimate of his weight.

ffamom":1tpgezgn said:
I wish we had a scale or access to one. Where do you find a public scale to weigh him on? Knowing his weight would make our decision on whether to cut him or not a little easier. It is hard to eat the ones that have been on the show road with the momma cow.

Our county validation is not until December 1st for steers. We have a little time there, but he needs to be cut if we are going to cut him.

Thanks for the replies.

How/where will they do the weigh-in in December?
If push comes to shove, haul him there and weigh him.

dun

My brother hauls them up to the scales of the feed store that we use all the time. If you know the weight of the trailer you're hauling him in, then just subtract that from the total that shows.

Alice

just call your local sale barn an ask if you can weigh him on their scales.ive had a few weighed an thats what i did.

It would be a little eaiser to judge his weight if you had something in the pic. to compare him to like a person in the pic. or a board fence behind him pictures can be very deciveing when it comes to judging size or weight of any thing. He is a great looking calf though and the only thing that would make him better is if he was BLACK. ;-)

VAStocker":1gvtbuc1 said:
He is a great looking calf though and the only thing that would make him better is if he was BLACK. ;-)

Now why would you want to go and ruin a good calf like that? :p

cfpinz

Alice":1aqqvkgf said:
My brother hauls them up to the scales of the feed store that we use all the time. If you know the weight of the trailer you're hauling him in, then just subtract that from the total that shows.

Alice

If the feed store, or even the sale barn, were to tell your brother "No", I'd bet he'd start dropping his nickels somewhere else.

backhoeboogie":1n8i4chh said:
Alice":1n8i4chh said:

Alice

If the feed store, or even the sale barn, were to tell your brother "No", I'd bet he'd start dropping his nickels somewhere else.

I'm sure so...however, the feed store owners are the best. It's a father and 2 sons...the father was my and my brother's high school science teacher. The way the have the scales set up you can get the weight even when they are closed. They showed my brother how if you look in the office window just right, you can see the weight come up on the readout. Yeah, a place like that keeps ya' coming back.

Alice

ffamom":q33en5fs said:

Thanks for the replies.

Before we got our scales, we use to use the scales at the county extension office for the show calves. Have used the scales at the feed store years ago. If we have to have an official weight ticket on an animal, we have used the sale barn.

mom

Latest posts