Weight Tapes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We use weight tapes for our cattle and horses. They are accurate enough to "weigh" our animals for measuring and administering de-wormers, and other supplement. If you'd like more specific information on these and where to get them, please e-mail me. Thanks! Bill.

[email protected]

> We use weight tapes for our cattle
> and horses. They are accurate
> enough to "weigh" our
> animals for measuring and
> administering de-wormers, and
> other supplement

I've used a weight tape on my horse. It is off by 200 lbs from his actual weight. That is off 20% of his weight. I'm not sure I would want that much room for error in medicating and worming.

[email protected]

Agree. 200# error is too large for comfort. Was this discrepancy as over or under-estimated their weight?

Was he/she on level ground and standing normally when tape was used?

Thanks! Bill

[email protected]

> Agree. 200# error is too large for
> comfort. Was this discrepancy as
> over or under-estimated their
> weight?

> Was he/she on level ground and
> standing normally when tape was
> used?

Yep. Over estimated. Vet said the tape may work OK on a horse of average build, but it is best to compare your horses tape weight to scale weight then use the tape to see if he gains or looses.

I had a calf tape that I compared to my scale for a year then threw out. Each calf gets a ride to the scale now.

[email protected]

The weight tapes usually have four levels of "condition" that you need to decide the degree of condition of your animal. They range from Thin--Moderate--Fleshy--Very Fleshy. The "Fleshy" category is for "Properly Finished" animal. Different weight tapes might have other category names. There can be about +/- 10% variation in weight between the thinest to the thickest animal. Be sure you know the condition of your animal so you can read the correct line item weight when using weight tapes. Also, same person should do the "weighing" since each may have their on degree of "tautness" in the tape. Finally, these tapes are definitely not as accurate as a good scale. However, when no scale is available or other problem are present, then tapes are an option.

> Tapes are an approx. but scales have quirks too. Helped a buddy that had a beam balence(type with the sliding weights) Got a calf turned around and weighed twice, different answer. weighed the calf several times running it off and on the scales, about a 10 lb range on a 450 lb'er.

Latest posts