Weight Tapes

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Do any of you use the weigh tapes to get weights on your animals? I bought one and used it to "weigh" two 5 month old heifers and was really surprised that one out weighed the other that I would have bet it would have been the other way around.

We have one, sometimes it is real close others it is off quite a bit. Hauled 1 cull cow and 4 or 5 claves off one time, taped them all and only missed the whole group by 150 or so pounds.

Another group it was off 75 or so pounds on one calf. Getting to be a better judge of condition so I think it makes the tape even closer.

I use the heart girth tape on all newborns. I'm strictly commercial Xbreds, no registrations, so it's for my own information and not for epd database info. I've compared the tape against scales numerous times and it's close enough for me- within 5 or so lb. give or take. I've never tried the tape on anything other than newborns.

randiliana did a comparison on newborns this spring. You might check with them to see if that data is still available - very thorough and interesting.

Thanks! My "eyes" were telling me which was the heavier calf but the tape had em reversed. A scale isn't in my budget yet, many other things I need so I thought I would try the tape. Thanks for the replies!

The deal with the tapes is the degree of condition they carry. That can really throw off the weight. Our tape has 3 scales ranging from thin to heavy condition.

fit2btied":2fq5dpl6 said:
randiliana did a comparison on newborns this spring. You might check with them to see if that data is still available - very thorough and interesting.

Yes, but the comparison I did was with the hoof tape not the girth tape. There is probably a big difference. But if anyone does want the info I would be happy to email them. Just PM me.

dun":3reuc1yr said:
The deal with the tapes is the degree of condition they carry. That can really throw off the weight. Our tape has 3 scales ranging from thin to heavy condition.

Yup that is the kind I have. These little gals are decieving I was looking at them again this morning and the heavier one is deeper with a good set of britches and the one I thought would have out weighed her is longer with a bit more leg. I am not good at judging the calves weights, I am pretty close with the mature ones. I haven't seen the hoof tapes before, are they for all ages???

Latest posts