weight tape

Help Support CattleToday:

c farmer

Reaction score
I saw on here that someone said that they used a hoof tape on their calves to get a weight. I was wondering how accurate that is and where I can get a hoof tape.

c farmer":1ryuztmb said:
I saw on here that someone said that they used a hoof tape on their calves to get a weight. I was wondering how accurate that is and where I can get a hoof tape.

We used a tape for one calving season and weighed the calves on a scale, too. We didn't find it to be very accurate and went back to just the scale.

We have used one, then one year I used it AND weighed all the calves. The average difference that it was out (either + or -) was 7 lbs. The biggest difference was 22 lbs, and there were quite a # that were off by more than 10 lbs.

We have actually found it to be pretty accurate. We have taped them and then put them on the electronic scale and we have always been within 2 - 3 pounds.

I guess it depends on what you are weighing them with and how accurate that is.

Thanks for the info I am going to try one , they are cheap enough.

terra8186":2ha5a7ze said:
I don't understand how they work. Can someone explain.

Thanks

It's a scale based on the measurement of a newborn claves front foot right at the coronary band. X number of inches equals X weight. It's sex dependent and I think to a certain degree breed dependent (anyway it's breed dependent in dairy calves) not sure about beef calves

I bought two a few years ago, I used them for one season and threw both away, I could guess as close as those things came. The ones I had said "accurate up to +/- 7lbs..... was the calf 89lbs or 96lbs? I agree with Randiliana, I think they were probably a lot further off then 7 lbs.

I think was Randiliana who did an actual comparsion of weight tapes to scale weights and posted them here, lots of calves and work put in to it... good info. You might try a search on weight tapes on these boards.

JMO
Alan

I bought two a few years ago, I used them for one season and threw both away, I could guess as close as those things came. The ones I had said "accurate up to +/- 7lbs..... was the calf 89lbs or 96lbs? I agree with Randiliana, I think they were probably a lot further off then 7 lbs.

The stated error window is 14 lbs (i.e. +/- 7lbs). So the tape would be stating a weight between 78 and 92 for a 85 lb center. I also think I can do better than that. Its just a matter of what accuracy your records require.

Latest posts