weight tape

Help Support CattleToday:

The cattle weight tapes have both USA and metric numbers on them. Assuming you are using the USA numbers, there are 3 rows of numbers relating to the estimated "condition" of your cattle. We generally use the "properly finished" (middle) row of numbers since we keep our cattle in very good condition.

The tape is wrapped around their chest from behind the front legs to straight up on back (withers on horse). Don't pull tape too tight, just nice and snug. Read the weight shown.

Lot easier with larger calf or mature animal if two people do measuring with animal in a squeeze chute or "Medina Hinge" device (unless animal is halter-broke). Make sure they are standing on level ground and not bouncing around. Little hay or cubes helps to distract the fidgety ones.

We figure the tapes are accurate enough for 205, 365 day weights as well as de-wormer injections. Probably +/- 5% weight error, depending on who's doing the measuring and how the animal is standing. (Incidentally, we've found these tapes fairly accurately "weigh" a human too! Assuming they don't have a large pot-belly...lol).

Bill

[email protected]

The (US) Beef cattle tapes that I use have 2 sides -- one for breeding or dairy cross cattle, the other for fed cattle. 4 body conditions are listed -- poor, moderate, finished, and fleshy. I also use a tape made especially for Dairy cattle, with separates weights listed for Holstein, Gernsey, and Jersey.

Sounds like you did about what we did -- we weighed everything and everybody in sight to test the tape! And it's amazing how accurate they are -- 2 lbs off on my sons. Less than 5 lbs on 500 lb calves that were sent to the salebarn. I'm still trying to convince Dad that they are accurate. He's sold 2 steers to be picked up next week. I'll tape them, but Dad insists on taking them into town to be *properly* weighed -- he'll be quite surprised when he sees just how close the tapes are (close enough to save that trip and extra expense)

Ann B

> The cattle weight tapes have both
> USA and metric numbers on them.
> Assuming you are using the USA
> numbers, there are 3 rows of
> numbers relating to the estimated
> "condition" of your
> cattle. We generally use the
> "properly finished"
> (middle) row of numbers since we
> keep our cattle in very good
> condition.