Weight on Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
I know all this is subjective but I really want to know what your opinion is. 450 lb. Angus cross heifers all wormed and in good health with a really good fly program. With all the fertilized pasture they want all summer and supplemented with 2 lb of 14% Purina feed per day. What weight gain per day should I look for in them this summer?

I'm assuming you mean 2lbs per head?? Purina makes really good feeds, but if you are trying to finish something, 2lbs a day and pasture is gonna take some time. If you are not keeping them for replacements, put them in a lot and push it to 'em (increase intake gradually of course). If you push them, you can get 3+ pounds a day, on pasture, not so much.

For comparison, and keep in mind I do not have a set of scales here yet, my fall calves last year weighed in ball park of 500 this time last year. I ran them on unfertilized pasture, but we had plenty of rain til July (got thin in Aug through sale time), gave them a 12 or 13% commodity at 3lbs per day and sold them around Sept 20 ish. Heifers averaged 778 and steers averaged 767, iirc. So, ballpark of 2.25 or so adg. Dad told me on good ground you can make a pound to pound and a half on fescue only. Add a pound for a little bit of feed. Which seems to hold true. That's with healthy calves like you mentioned, and taken care of. Shade, water, fly control, wormer.

Where are you and what are you running them on? Someone may be able to help more with more info.

You may be able to do better than I did then with Bermuda although I had good grass, well green and growing fescue anyway, until it turned off hot/dry. Arkansas is a big place but maybe someone from your state will chime in.

Not sure where you are or the type of grass. I would think your ADG would be more in the 1.5 range.