Weight Gain

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I see people talking about having animals at 400-500 or more pounds at 205 days. Are black and white face field graze only and do not acheieve those weights in a year. Is this bad?

[email protected]

> I see people talking about having
> animals at 400-500 or more pounds
> at 205 days. Are black and white
> face field graze only and do not
> acheieve those weights in a year.
> Is this bad?

If you mean that you have Black Angus and Hereford (and maybe some black baldies) that you raise on grass only (no creep feeding) and the calves don't get to 400-500 pounds in 12 full months ---- yes, that's bad. If that is the case, you need to get some help with your forage & mineral situation, cow quality or bull power -- probably all of the above. The best thing may be to get your county extension agent out there to assess your operation, or possibly some trusted older rancher whose opinion you value.

it depends on the size of your cows... a rule of thumb i try to go by is that at 7 months, does that calf weight 1/2 of what its mother weighs? or at least close to it? if your cows are 1000# then you need to be getting at least 450-500# calves... if they are 800, you wont.

there are exceptions, but the no frills average in my opinion, is as i stated it above.

you can feed them to get more weight, but you need to be sure you are getting your money's worth out of the feed in weight gain.

just my 2 cents

gene

I see people talking about having
> face field graze only and do not
> acheieve those weights in a year.
> Is this bad?

[email protected]

> I see people talking about having