weight gain

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattleman23

Reaction score
I've read that the weight gain for feeder cattle on grass in a pasture is 2-2.5 pounds a day... if they're fed grain and hay on a lot... how much would they gain per day?

How long does it take to go from a 400 lbs steer on average to 1300 lbs finisher?

You're going to get answers all over the place on this question. Its really tough, as hay quality, outside temperature, breed, and genetics all play a large role in determining weight gain per day. I wean at around 550 lbs and background to 8-900 lbs. I feed high quality first cut alafalfa and about 10 - 12 lbs of whole oats per animal per day. I'll see between 3 lbs/day and 4.5 lbs/day growth. My neighbor follows the same regimen as I do, and he sees 2.5 - 3.5 lbs/day.

Rod

the best way to found out how much they will gain is to just knuckle down and do it. often enough, unless you have some solid experience backing you, it works out on paper completely different to how it works out on the hoof.

Checked the charts just to make sure I had my facts together before I add my two bits worth....for the same amount of dry matter intake the daily gain is influenced by the protein content of the feed.
Example...900 pound steer eating 21.8 pounds of dry matter with a 2.03 pound of protein intake is expected to gain 2.5 pounds a day.
The same steer eating 21.7 pounds of dry matter with a 2.13#
of protein intake is expected to gain 3.0 pounds a day.
Given the mineral and ME intake increases porportionally with the feed intake.
IMO protein equates to muscle and ME equates to fat...need both for carcass finish.
My two bits worth.
DMc

Susie David":b6pnau4f said:
Checked the charts just to make sure I had my facts together before I add my two bits worth....for the same amount of dry matter intake the daily gain is influenced by the protein content of the feed.
Example...900 pound steer eating 21.8 pounds of dry matter with a 2.03 pound of protein intake is expected to gain 2.5 pounds a day.
The same steer eating 21.7 pounds of dry matter with a 2.13#
of protein intake is expected to gain 3.0 pounds a day.
Given the mineral and ME intake increases porportionally with the feed intake.
IMO protein equates to muscle and ME equates to fat...need both for carcass finish.
My two bits worth.
DMc

Thanks, that really helps a lot.
Where can I find some feeding charts and pounds gained charts that I can use in finishing out cattle?

Latest posts