Weight Gain

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 550 lb Limousin steer. Tall and big boned and very healthy. My pasture is in great shape with a high content mixture of clover (red & white) and orchard grass. I also have two ponds one of which is spring fed on the property. I feed about 1/2 gallon of crushed corn every other day. What type of weight gain should I see by Christmas from a steer of this breed and under these conditions? Our pasture stays pretty well up into November then he will be on high quality hay and grain. This is going to be my personal slaughter steer and I am just curios how big he will be at that time.

thats tough to say without seeing him or knowing how old he is, but i figure a rough guess is that he should weigh around 1000 give or take at christmas.

jmo

jt

Name that poundage. I would think you would have better results if you feed him a protion of that everyday rather than the full amount every other day. I suspect most of that bucket will run right through him without stopping. :shock:

flaboy":wlcy7lq2 said:
Name that poundage. I would think you would have better results if you feed him a protion of that everyday rather than the full amount every other day. I suspect most of that bucket will run right through him without stopping. :shock:

Good advice, his system will adapt better to getting the corn everyday.

When I feed out mine (Red Angus) I start with a 600lb steer and target for a weight gain of at least 2.5 lbs/day but I usually get better. I like them to finish close to 1000lbs. It takes me close to a month to get them up to full power/feed. If you ramp them up to fast you run the risk of assidosis. I use a 60/40 mix of corn/oats with loose mineral in the feed. They also get free choice hay. At full power/feed they get approxiamtely 17lbs of feed a day. I feed 8.5lbs in the morning and 8.5lbs at night.

Everyones guesses are better than I had expected. A 1000 pound steer should yield about how much edible beef? Any guesses. LOL

It's just a math equation. It's June now, June to December is 6 months. 30 days per month means 180 days.
2lb gain per day x 180 days = 360lbs.
3lb gain per day x 180 days = 540lbs.
A 550lb steer + 360lbs of gain= 910lbs.
A 550lb steer + 540lb gain = 1090lbs.

So in December...theoretically, your steer should weigh between 910lbs and 1090lbs.

I'd say he should be around 950# by the end of December. He will put on a lot of weight between now and then with just pasture. The extra feed is gravy.

I hope that you know that Limos are known for producing a well muscled lean carcass and from what I pickup from the Limo breeders around here cracked corn is the only way to put some marbling in them....the Limo folks have an EPD for marbling, do you know what your steer's is? Be careful about loading on the grain to soon, it sounds like you have a pretty good start on a 1000# plus steer given the good pasture.
I agree that with a rich pasture the grain will go right through him...I'd wait until the last 90 days to grain him unless it is a good way to get him to the barn for evening muster.

Our yield is right at 50-60% of live weight will hang on the rail and 20 to 25% of the hanging weight will be lost to cutting. Varies a bit from animal to animal but a 1000# steer will put a bit less than 500lbs in the freezer. Limos are a good yielding breed you should see 500#...keep us informed in December...I'd like to see how he finishes out.

Latest posts