weight difference. bulls vs. steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
I remember this being discussed a couple of months ago and no one was sure about the weight difference. I ran across this and thought I would share. 15lbs to 25lbs at weaning.

http://tcebookstore.org/tmppdfs/21585533-2317.pdf

"Steers typically command the highest
price, followed by bulls and then heifers. Heifers
in the 400- to 500-pound range will be priced at
$7 to $10 less per cwt than steers, while bulls will
be discounted $3 to $6 per cwt when compared to
steers. Discounts for bull calves usually depend
on weight. Heavier calves will be discounted
more because older, larger bulls experience more
stress during castration. Castration is a simple
and inexpensive way producers can add value
to bull calves. The downside to castration is that
steer calves will be 15 to 25 pounds lighter than
bull calves at weaning. This can be offset by
using growth implants to increase the weaning
weights of steer calves.

I'm no expert on meat but I have fed out a few in my life and by far the best meat I have raised has come from heifers. Seems they finish better - for me anyway. Why do you think they dock heifers so? I'm thinking from now on, I'll just take the premium for the steer and then feed out heifers since they seem to do so well. Am I missing something here?

I posted a report a couple of months back that claimed heifers weren;t as tender as steers.

We have always butchered steers if we wanted tender meat...around 700-800 lbs. Was always taught that they had the best meat for consumption. Now hamburgering is a different story.
As far as bulls vs steers... I brought up this subject a few months back. I think the bulls gain more weight than steers in same given amount of time, and if that is what you are trying to accomplish, then its fine.

Heifers are docked because:
Gender Effects

Heifers usually have a 1.5 to 2.0 per cent lower dressing percentage than steers at a similar fat level. As a whole, heifers tend to carry more waste fat in the udder, around the internal organs and on the carcass than do steers. The difference in dressing percentage narrows as heifers become fatter than steers. Since heifers mature earlier, they are usually marketed 100 to 150 pounds lighter than steers.
Taken from http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sis11074

In the past on the Cattle Pages website it seemed the "experts" said without a doubt, virgin bulls were the best.

Txwalt":2tq49w01 said:
I remember this being discussed a couple of months ago and no one was sure about the weight difference.

I don't think I came across as unsure at all. I am sure.

I am also sure that any weight difference can be more than offset by an implant.

Walt, if you ever wanna be sure - check the cost of implanting steers.

Why do the big boys do it?

PROFIT

Chris H":1b7xvorl said:
Heifers are docked because:
Gender Effects

Heifers usually have a 1.5 to 2.0 per cent lower dressing percentage than steers at a similar fat level. As a whole, heifers tend to carry more waste fat in the udder, around the internal organs and on the carcass than do steers. The difference in dressing percentage narrows as heifers become fatter than steers. Since heifers mature earlier, they are usually marketed 100 to 150 pounds lighter than steers.
Taken from http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sis11074
Looks like the heifer's had the steers beat yesterday. Barely but they beat them.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/NW_LS410.txt

Right now I see $5 to $7 and occassionally $10 per cwt difference between steers and bulls over 500 lbs. at the sales I go to. The discount is more pronounced this time of year as sickness from the stress of marketing is higher.

As the the question of why heifers are docked more than than bulls or steers, it is because of two things 1) lower dressing percentage when slaughtered and 2) lower A.D.G. in feed yard.

somn":2aomq7zu said:
For anyone keeping track the heifer's are still winning.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/NW_LS410.txt

Barring a fraction of a percent in the favor of the heifer on dressout weight, I still do not fully understand why they are docked so heavily.

One post stated that they dressed out 1-2% less. Well that's a far cry from the 8 - 10% they dock you.

Has anyone else finsished heifers? If so, how did yours do? Was there any noticeable differences?

Jogeephus":bdg9js6l said:
I still do not fully understand why they are docked so heavily.

I don't feed out many heifers myself but they can cause a lot of trouble in the feedlots - heats, pregnancies, aborting.

If you are operating at an $8 margin a pregnant animal can knock the heck out of your bottom line.

Throw that on top of yield and grade and feed efficiency and it all adds up.

In my area, save yourself the cost of implants, work of castrating, and risk of infection. The buyers here come way short of covering my time and cost, besides theyre gonna have to cut some anyway, and even 10$/cwt (which you wont get in my area) dont cut it for me, im to busy. Dont mean to offend who sees it as worth the time. do whats profitable for you, that's what its all about.

3rdgeneration farmer":s1j93i0i said:
ive also had people buying beef direct turn down implanted animals. Nothing sounds healthy about ROIDS to the public, no matter how harmless it is.
Thats exactly right. Most of the public demands "pure" beef, no implants, or anything that they perceive to be something that would taint the meat.

Latest posts