• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Weighing of calves

A

Anonymous

Guest
How does one go about weighing a new born calf in the field without going all the way back to the barn with it? I would not want to haul a set of scales around, or is that what you have to do? What has so of you come up with?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
we use a weight tape that goes around the front leg right above the hoof. they can be ordered from probably any vet supply company (we just ordered some new ones from Valley Vet). previously we had a small grain scale that we carried in the field & lifted the calf to weight it (took two people to do it that way). when we found out about the tapes we tried them and used them w/the scale to check accuracy and found that they were were really close (+/- 1 or 2 lbs). at first you may want to double up methods like we did to figure out how tight to pull the tape (it's snug but not tight).
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
On our new calves we use a portable scale such as a bathroom scale. Weigh the "weigher" then pick up calf and weigh both of you--difference is what calf weighs.

Of course, our Longhorn calves usually weigh between 45 and 65 lbs at birth so picking one up is o big deal.

We use weight tapes with success after calf is older. We have weight tapes 5.95 postpaid.

[email protected]
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
> we use a weight tape that goes
> around the front leg right above
> the hoof. they can be ordered from
> probably any vet supply company
> (we just ordered some new ones
> from Valley Vet). previously we
> had a small grain scale that we
> carried in the field & lifted
> the calf to weight it (took two
> people to do it that way). when we
> found out about the tapes we tried
> them and used them w/the scale to
> check accuracy and found that they
> were were really close (+/- 1 or 2
> lbs). at first you may want to
> double up methods like we did to
> figure out how tight to pull the
> tape (it's snug but not tight).

txag- We've used the tapes for quite a few years- compared them to actual weighing and they're pretty close on most calves. They sure are handy when you have a heifer running around with just the foot sticking out- tape it and you have an idea of how big a calf you may have to pull. And they are darn sure easier than trying to lift a squirming 80 lb. calf.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The first thing to do is have them calve close to the house or barn. We have used the bathroom scale, but generally put a band around their belly and hook a scale onto the band and lift them up. Our weights are staying about the same, but every year it's harder to heft them. Could it be old age?

> How does one go about weighing a
> new born calf in the field without
> going all the way back to the barn
> with it? I would not want to haul
> a set of scales around, or is that
> what you have to do? What has so
> of you come up with?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Old age? I thought you weighed them when they were all the same age. I prefer to refer to it as experienced, not old age.

dun

> The first thing to do is have them
> calve close to the house or barn.
> We have used the bathroom scale,
> but generally put a band around
> their belly and hook a scale onto
> the band and lift them up. Our
> weights are staying about the
> same, but every year it's harder
> to heft them. Could it be old age?



[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top