Weighing newborn calves

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboyup216":307oau5a said:
A little tape that I got off valley vet that slides over the top of the hoof. You draw it tight around the ankle and presto it tells ya the weight within +-7 pounds.
You sure it's the ankle and not the top of the hoof?

Roadapple":1i1wfglg said:
cowboyup216":1i1wfglg said:
A little tape that I got off valley vet that slides over the top of the hoof. You draw it tight around the ankle and presto it tells ya the weight within +-7 pounds.
You sure it's the ankle and not the top of the hoof?

The one we have you measure around the top of the hoof right at the hairline

dun

In the past I have used the piece of plywood on the scales, holding the calf on the scales, and a sling on hanging scales. All way too hard for my set up, no level ground. I'm using the hoof tape this year, no calves yet, they're earliest due date is 2/25, although no bagging yet on anyone.

I was surprised to hear the foot tape had a + or - of 7 lbs! So I checked my tape and that is what it says. Lots of difference between a 75lb calf and a 82 lber, sounds like as much as 7% to 10% body weight.

What do some of you guys and gals do who use the tape? Just accept the reading? Sounds like the easy thing to do, but I was hoping for more accuracy.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":3upx5lle said:
In the past I have used the piece of plywood on the scales, holding the calf on the scales, and a sling on hanging scales. All way too hard for my set up, no level ground. I'm using the hoof tape this year, no calves yet, they're earliest due date is 2/25, although no bagging yet on anyone.

I was surprised to hear the foot tape had a + or - of 7 lbs! So I checked my tape and that is what it says. Lots of difference between a 75lb calf and a 82 lber, sounds like as much as 7% to 10% body weight.

What do some of you guys and gals do who use the tape? Just accept the reading? Sounds like the easy thing to do, but I was hoping for more accuracy.

Thanks,
Alan

I personally do not like the tape. We have used it and had much higher discrepancies than 7 lbs. I found it worked fairly well on average sized calves (75-95 lbs), but not very well on larger or smaller than average calves. There was one time I used it on 2 calves born the same day, one was a tall spindly thing and the other a smaller blocky calf. Called them both 80, but I had a hard time believing that with the types of calves. Turned out when I got the one on the scale it was 60 lbs. I still use it on some of the late calves that are born in the pasture, but I will weigh them on a scale if something seems off to me.

Think I might use the tape this year when I weigh them on the scale and see how often it is off, and by how much. But then I have been meaning to do that for the last couple years too ;-)

randiliana":unlrv4f9 said:
Think I might use the tape this year when I weigh them on the scale and see how often it is off, and by how much. But then I have been meaning to do that for the last couple years too ;-)

Let us know the results, I for one, would be very interested in knowing how far off it can be.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":332rfsnb said:
randiliana":332rfsnb said:

Let us know the results, I for one, would be very interested in knowing how far off it can be.

Thanks,
Alan

Will do. Or at least try to remember. Now if I can just figure out where the darn thing got put after last spring......

Alan":bvcs6zuv said:

Thanks,
Alan

After a while you get a feel for them. Ours average around 74lbs, you can feel when one's heavier/lighter. If there's too much percieved difference, I just use my best guess. 5 or even 10 lbs on the odd calf isn't going to kill me.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2l3i662z said:
Alan":2l3i662z said:

Thanks,
Alan

After a while you get a feel for them. Ours average around 74lbs, you can feel when one's heavier/lighter. If there's too much percieved difference, I just use my best guess. 5 or even 10 lbs on the odd calf isn't going to kill me.

cfpinz

Really, the only reason I care about BW's is because I send them in to the AHA.... I would like to be more accurate then give or take 10% of body weight.

I'm under the assumption, that 10% would have a big effect on my cows BW and CE EPD's.

Sounds like I may go back to weighing them by hand.

Alan

A 70 pound calf looks smaller than a 100 pound calf. I can usually guess as close as a tape. If Im off or if the tape is off doesn't matter. Guessing is easier and quicker. If I want to be exact nothing beats a scale. If you need to do it in the field. use the plywood and bathroom scale method or put a beam on the truck or four wheeler to hang a scale. (disclamer - installing a beam on a horse doesn't work very well. It wastes your time and annoys the horse.)

Latest posts