Weigh up sons

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
We're looking to experiment with some weigh up genetics. I know he is no longer collecting (should that worry me on fertility? We were told by his owner that he still works great in the field but his semen does not freeze/thaw well.

I see Deer Valley Old Hickory has some nice balanced traits. Anyone have any experience there or like any other weigh up sons that we could find 10-100 straws of?

We have a Weigh Up daughter in production and an Old Hickory bull that we are developing and will sell this spring. The Weigh Up daughter (AAA- 18523977) we purchased last spring and she will calve here soon. She is a nice, easy fleshing moderate cow with a good hip/utter. She had a BW ratio of 98 and WW ratio of 105 on her first calf. Really excited to see her calf this spring.

Old Hickory bull calf (19163202) has been everything we wanted. He is moderate, easy fleshing and a great hip. There was a dispersal we went to this past spring to buy some cows/heifers (building the herd) and found him and said he would be a great addition to our weaned bulls to develop and sell this spring.

We have some Weigh Up semen we plan to flush our donors to. Super expensive ($200+ for semen at auction) but love the daughter we have. We have some embryos we bought that are out of him (putting in this spring). Small sample size, but seems to throw good looking progeny with the performance to back it up. Same goes for Old Hickory. They will be on the moderate side for frame size. Like to see a touch more marbling but if you have marbling in your cows it works out. I think it is hard to find a better son than Old Hickory if you are looking to bring down frame sizes and make some good replacement heifers.

We don't have experience with any, but I like the looks of his son
Deer Valley Unique 5635 at Select Sires

Have a weigh up daughter that has been pretty fertile and throws good calves so far. Holds condition well, moderate.