weigh tapes

Help Support CattleToday:

DRB

Reaction score
How accurate are the tapes that measure a calve's leg diameter to obtain an estimated weight? Are they consideded acceptable for epd weights? Where can I get one?

You can get weight tapes from Running Arrow Farms - they did have an ad in the classified section. Experiences we have had with the weight tapes indicate that they have been reasonably accurate - within 50 lbs on a 1200 lb animal.

DRB":wdd90keb said:
How accurate are the tapes that measure a calve's leg diameter to obtain an estimated weight? Are they consideded acceptable for epd weights? Where can I get one?

we use the weight tapes on our baby calves. at first we used a scale to check for accuracy which was usually plus or minus about 2 lbs. you can purchase them from valley vet supply. they have an on-line catalog.

Ellie May":3olzyb09 said:
Accurate enough, it's better then having to guess!

So my calf might weigh somewhere 50 pounds either side of 100 lbs? You sound like one of these composite breeders. I think I can guess a little better than that little girl.

WHATEVER. Yeah if you want an exact guess like down to the ounce no it's not the way to go, but if you wanna quick way to weigh then yeah it's good. Personally we don't use them.
Ellie May

hairy_shemp":22lit6nu said:
GET 1 @T.S.C. OR ASK FOR THE MEASHERMENT ITS FREE ITS STILL JUST AS GOOD AS TAPE DO THE MATH THATS IT.
If you want the right weight, buy a scale. Who wants to use a 50 lb. variance when making a purchasing decision.

Seems to me that some of us are on different pages. I think the original question was in regards to the valley vet foot tape to measure the weight of a new born calf. I've used them and they work fine. they say they are plus or minus 7 pounds. I found them more accurate than that. They are handy, however if your selling seed stock your customers might not trust them. I use a digital gallager scale in the back of the truck.

la4angus":272gg8ra said:
If you want the right weight, buy a scale. Who wants to use a 50 lb. variance when making a purchasing decision.

i think you're forgetting........the 50 lb variance came from ellie may. i wouldn't put much weight (no pun intended) in some of the things she says.

the original question was regarding the foot tape, not the girth tape. we have found them to be within +/- 2 lbs which is about the same variance you're going to get if you were to use several different scales.

txag":q7wecrxc said:
la4angus":q7wecrxc said:

i think you're forgetting........the 50 lb variance came from ellie may. i wouldn't put much weight (no pun intended) in some of the things she says.

the original question was regarding the foot tape, not the girth tape. we have found them to be within +/- 2 lbs which is about the same variance you're going to get if you were to use several different scales.
I didn't forget. But others could come up with the same variance.

la4angus":35sz986h said:

we've had this question before & my original suggestion was to use both for a while until you get the feel of how tight to pull the tape.

as an aside: if you can't tell that you're 50 lbs off when weighing a baby calf, you shouldn't be weighing baby calves.

txag":m7vptmuk said:
la4angus":m7vptmuk said:

we've had this question before & my original suggestion was to use both for a while until you get the feel of how tight to pull the tape.

as an aside: if you can't tell that you're 50 lbs off when weighing a baby calf, you shouldn't be weighing baby calves.
I can tell within a couple of lbs. by eyesite.

la4angus":4j59ny3b said:
txag":4j59ny3b said:
la4angus":4j59ny3b said:

i usually can too, but what's your point? don't use either?

txag":1c6oq936 said:
la4angus":1c6oq936 said:
txag":1c6oq936 said:
la4angus":1c6oq936 said:

i usually can too, but what's your point? don't use either?
I use a scale so that I have accurate numbers to report to the AAA.
What is your point; do you guess.

la4angus":1g4swb7e said:

no. pay attention, ellie may. as i said earlier, we use the tape. we used a scale and a tape to ensure the tape's accuracy and after being satisfied that it is accurate, we now just use the tape to report to the AHA.

txag":1gg2vyo9 said:
la4angus":1gg2vyo9 said:

no. pay attention, ellie may. as i said earlier, we use the tape. we used a scale and a tape to ensure the tape's accuracy and after being satisfied that it is accurate, we now just use the tape to report to the AHA.
I am not Ellie Mae. Are you?

Latest posts