Weigh Tapes

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Is there a difference in measuring green / thin cattle as compared to moderate fleshed?

Planning to use a scale for trade but wondering if the tape would measure green calves fairly close.

I've always found that the weigh tapes are pretty inaccurate no matter what condition the calves or cows are in, and it always seems to read too high.

Hook2.0 said:
Never liked the tapes. Hang out at the sale barn for a while and develop your eye for weights.

LOL, been doing that since 1977. It is the other guy that is having the difficulty believing his calves aren't very heavy.

Last time I remember using them was when I was in 4H. The way I remember it they gave a very reasonable approximation of the true weight.

Silver said:
Last time I remember using them was when I was in 4H. The way I remember it they gave a very reasonable approximation of the true weight.

There should be a disclaimer on the weigh tape: "Your ability to correctly grade the quality of the animal is directly correlated to the accuracy of the weight reading. I have weighed with scales and tape and they are very close. The worst I ever remember it being out on fat 4-H steers was 40-50 lbs.

Silver said:

The fine point I wanted to know was if it weighed fleshy and thin cattle both accurately or close.

gcreekrch said:
Silver said:

The fine point I wanted to know was if it weighed fleshy and thin cattle both accurately or close.

More accurate with thin than fleshy, as fleshy can have fairly wide and almost limitless range. They are either thin or dead.

Aaron said:
gcreekrch said:
Silver said:

More accurate with thin than fleshy, as fleshy can have fairly wide and almost limitless range. They are either thin or dead.

Truth to that Aaron, thanks.

I've used them on calves in the past with mixed results. Worked pretty good on the Chars but not so well on the Beefmasters...too much loose hide on them I suppose or I didn't pull it tight enough.