Wehrmann Angus Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie,
I tried to find that sale on paper or where I could print it off on paper. My eyes are messing up and I could see the bull, but not the print on the TV. So that kind of runined the sale. I did not find it on the Angus site or in the Angus journal. Did you see it on paper before the sale started? I still would like to see the numbers on the bulls. I was surprised at how low they were going. Some had some really good numbers. But of course, I could't see all the numbers.
They all were fed well.
Chuckie

Chuckie":3dxkaiek said:
Frankie,
I tried to find that sale on paper or where I could print it off on paper. My eyes are messing up and I could see the bull, but not the print on the TV. So that kind of runined the sale. I did not find it on the Angus site or in the Angus journal. Did you see it on paper before the sale started? I still would like to see the numbers on the bulls. I was surprised at how low they were going. Some had some really good numbers. But of course, I could't see all the numbers.
They all were fed well.
Chuckie

I've got the catalog here on my desk. If you want numbers on any specific bulls let me know. Or if you'd like the catalog pm me your address and I'll send it to you.

Chuckie":hvuzgu0y said:
Frankie,
They all were fed well.
Chuckie

I looked at the catalog on the Angus Journal "Current Sale Books" site yesterday during the sale. But it's not there today. All the bulls had good numbers, but I don't remember ever seeing a bull sell for $1300 at a Wehrmann sale. And I think they were expecting more for that first bull. Is there a drought in that part of the country?

Cfpinz,
Thank you for the offer for the book, but it isn't that important. Now that I realize that the sale was most likely under advertised is why the bulls didn't sell that well. Those bulls had some really good numbers. If I had a book before hand, and could have studied it, there were some outstanding bulls to be had. High ultrasound numbers and the other numbers fell into place where they should have. Those bulls were cheap.
I went and looked in the archived breeder sale book in the Angus Journal, and it isn't in there either. Wonder why this was such a secret sale?
I saw some Objective, Mtty in Focus, and Future Direction that I would have loaded up in a heart beat. Cheap too. Cheap enough to brought home two!!! It kind of scared me.

Frankie, I heard the gentleman coming in ever so often to say a word or two trying to get people to pay attention to what was coming through the ring. I wonder how many people went to the sale?
Chuckie

I wasn't giving the sale my full attention, so don't know if they mentioned the crowd size. I watched about the first 30 minutes, then went to check on some cows. It seemed to me that they were disappointed in the price the first bull brought. Yes, they did some talking to people about "come back to the sale". But if people get some good bulls are good prices, it may help bring a bigger crowd next year. More bidders, higher prices. And if there's a drought in that area it will hurt bull prices, maybe for several years.

I live about an hour and a half from there, we had a very severe drought last year and we've only picked up 4" or so of snow here all winter. A lot of cattle have been sold in this part of the country.

Personally, their type of cattle don't do much for me.

When you say the prices were cheap/reasonable, what type of numbers are we talking here? Knock off the top 3 or 4 bulls and what was the spread?

Phenotypically, lot 5 was the only one that tripped my trigger. Anyone know what he brought?

Thanks

Don't quite understand why a drought would have hurt Them so much as their cattle don't go to the local boys as a rule. Normally they publish a thank you list and the cattle go all over the country.

If I wrote it down correctly, Lot #5 brought $4750.00 Some of the bulls in the sale seemed to be sloppy-hocked. I can't quite point it out when I am not there with them. Sometimes they can get their legs up under themselves, then sometimes they can't. Sometimes it looks like the leg doesn't bend. I like to see the bull to reach up under his belly with his back leg when he walks. I thought they were good looking bulls otherwise. There were several that did not have sloppy hocks. There were 9 bulls that brought over $7000, and the rest were (3 or40 $5000 range (3) $4000 range and the rest in the $3000 to lower range. I probably didn't get the last few bulls since I fell asleep. I got to 89.

cfpinz, the sale was going so fast and I was trying to see the numbers. I had on two pair of glasses. The auctioneer was too fast for me. I would never hire him. What did you not like about the bulls?
I noticed that the Gar Predestined bulls didn't sell too well. The bidding dropped off real fast on these. Why was that? Has there been a problem with this bull?
I put a star beside #16, 29, 37, and 40. I made comments beside 29 and 37.

Sure wish I had been there.
Chuckie

Chuckie":1jusjmn0 said:
If I wrote it down correctly, Lot #5 brought $4750.00

Thanks.

What did you not like about the bulls?

The operation in general is more caught up in producing bulls with outstanding numbers than actual working bulls, I can't afford their feed bill. There was a dozen or so pictures in the catalog, #5 was the only one who looked good to me, the rest looked like steers. Lightly muscled steers. So many folks in this area follow Gardiner genetics, (Wehrman included), never been a fan of those either. And to echo your concerns, a lot of their bulls look to have weak back legs. But that's just my opinion, what do I know?

The TV lens can be deceiving. It is odd how you get high Ultrasound numbers, high milk numbers, and extremely low scrotal numbers. I wonder why these three combinations seem to run together?
Chuckie

cfpinz":18xi6y3b said:
So many folks in this area follow Gardiner genetics, (Wehrman included), never been a fan of those either. And to echo your concerns, a lot of their bulls look to have weak back legs. But that's just my opinion, what do I know?

Gardiner became Gardiner due to the purchase of the the flush to Rita 5H11 from Wehrman...... I would venture to say that Gardiner is modeled after Wehrman

As for the sale. This was a bull sale in combination with Donnell Cattle Company up in Abilene, TX. That sale tends to be a little weaker than Wehrman's own sale out in Virginia. I don't know how under advertised it was but I had a catalog in hand. It was the 17th sale that they have had together..... one in the fall and one in the spring if I remember correctly so going on 9 years or so.

Angus In Texas":28ft2bo0 said:
cfpinz":28ft2bo0 said:
So many folks in this area follow Gardiner genetics, (Wehrman included), never been a fan of those either. And to echo your concerns, a lot of their bulls look to have weak back legs. But that's just my opinion, what do I know?

Gardiner became Gardiner due to the purchase of the the flush to Rita 5H11 from Wehrman...... I would venture to say that Gardiner is modeled after Wehrman

As for the sale. This was a bull sale in combination with Donnell Cattle Company up in Abilene, TX. That sale tends to be a little weaker than Wehrman's own sale out in Virginia. I don't know how under advertised it was but I had a catalog in hand. It was the 17th sale that they have had together..... one in the fall and one in the spring if I remember correctly so going on 9 years or so.

No. The sale we're discussing was the Wehrmann bull sale in VA. The Wehrmann-Donnell Bull Sale
is Wednesday, March 13th, 2008 from Abilene. It'll be on RFD TV, too.

Gardiner was Gardiner before their purchase of the flush, but they don't mind at all crediting much of their success today to that flush.

Frankie":3ihtopsq said:
Angus In Texas":3ihtopsq said:
cfpinz":3ihtopsq said:

No. The sale we're discussing was the Wehrmann bull sale in VA. The Wehrmann-Donnell Bull Sale
is Wednesday, March 13th, 2008 from Abilene. It'll be on RFD TV, too.

Gardiner was Gardiner before their purchase of the flush, but they don't mind at all crediting much of their success today to that flush.

Ah ok I thought it was the combined sale. Sorry.

Yea I know Gardiner was Gardiner before their purchase but to say that Wehrman is following Gardiner is in my mind a little off .... I believe they are both following each other.

I have been to Wehrmann's sale once and IMO the sale with Donnell bulls are better. He brings some of his best to Texas.

Angus In Texas":18yy7wot said:
Yea I know Gardiner was Gardiner before their purchase but to say that Wehrman is following Gardiner is in my mind a little off .... I believe they are both following each other.

That seems to be the case with 90% of the big name black angus breeders. Same genetics, different venue. The remaining 10% are about all that interests me.

Yes I am going to the sale. I now own the cow of Lot 177. Have bought one bull out of the sale. he was from a COOP herd.