weevils

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
what do put on bulk feed to get rid of weevils? i have a few super sacks of rice bran that are getting some weevils in it.

thanks

jt

I recently read an article on Weevils and it pointed out that they are mainly eating the good nutrients. They recommended that the individual go ahead and feed what they had but not to expect the weight gain that should be normal with that feed. :frowns:

Freezing it will kill the weevils. Get it out of your feed room ASAP because they will infest it and you will have the devil of a time keeping your feed weevil free.

jt":39lkbvsz said:
what do put on bulk feed to get rid of weevils? i have a few super sacks of rice bran that are getting some weevils in it.

thanks

jt

You're not getting weevils in your feed....they are already there. You're just seeing them as the mature and become active. Weevils don't bore into bags but are only boring out when you see them. Hard to treat rice bran but a light layer of diatomaceous earth across the top of the bag will kill the ones that come in contact with it.

[/quote]
You're not getting weevils in your feed....they are already there. You're just seeing them as the mature and become active. Weevils don't bore into bags but are only boring out when you see them. Hard to treat rice bran but a light layer of diatomaceous earth across the top of the bag will kill the ones that come in contact with it.[/quote]

:???:
dont know what diatomaceous earth is :oops:

but i did call the feed store and they told me to put some 5% malathion sp?? on it. they said it would not hurt the cattle??

jt

Wow, insecticide on feed? Probably not strong enough to hurt anything but darned if I'd do it...check out diatomaceous earth. Your feed store needs to get some in and sell it. A really good all natural insecticide.

TexasBred":346uf93t said:
Wow, insecticide on feed? Probably not strong enough to hurt anything but darned if I'd do it...check out diatomaceous earth. Your feed store needs to get some in and sell it. A really good all natural insecticide.
The only place I was able to find DE around here was a swimming pool supply joint

TexasBred":22jldziw said:

i googled it and found that there is a 2% malathion dust for grain and grain bins.

i am feeding the stuff up fast though and hopefully can get things back in order once this feed is gone.

jt

jt":3vthkox6 said:
TexasBred":3vthkox6 said:

i googled it and found that there is a 2% malathion dust for grain and grain bins.

i am feeding the stuff up fast though and hopefully can get things back in order once this feed is gone.

jt

No extra charge for the little bit of "animal protein" from the weevils. ;-)

TexasBred":c2yqjfks said:
jt":c2yqjfks said:
TexasBred":c2yqjfks said:

jt

No extra charge for the little bit of "animal protein" from the weevils. ;-)

Exactly TB; you don't get charged extra if you get a grasshopper in your turnip greens in a restaurant. Same principle here.

dun":jnipr4gn said:
TexasBred":jnipr4gn said:
The only place I was able to find DE around here was a swimming pool supply joint

dun really?? Wow...seems word has gotten around and most feed stores around here carry it. 50 lb. bag cost about $18 or a small shaker can of it for about $6.00 :lol2: Would recommend "feed grade" rather than filter grade. tho.

Latest posts