Weening

Help Support CattleToday:

knowknews

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me in simple (cause that's how I roll) english for a simple minded person when I can take this calf off of the bottle? They told me when I bought the 50 lbs of milk replacer that that should be all I needed to buy before weaning. She eats grain out of her bucket, she eats grass, she eats hay and (tho not recently) I have seen her drink water from a bucket. Isn't here just an age where you can ween? Say about 8 weeks? She was born June 22 that would make her 9 weeks old this Monday. I'm out of milk replacer soon and don't want to buy another 50 lbs if she should be off of it by now. Thanks and please remember to keep it simple. I don't know how much she weighs and don't know how to calculate her ADG and all that.

The age nine weeks is completely normal for weaning bottle calves. Make sure that you feed it feed with protein, a sucling calf would have stayed on protein rich milk for five more months.

As long as they're eating 2-3 pounds of grain a day they can be weaned. They'll keep trying to con you into the bottle as long as you let them. Just remember to increase they're grain ration as they grow

dun":1za42wv8 said:
As long as they're eating 2-3 pounds of grain a day they can be weaned. They'll keep trying to con you into the bottle as long as you let them. Just remember to increase they're grain ration as they grow

Well, I don't know if she eats that much grain. It is calf starter grain. I have to find out if it has protein in it, but I think it does. I will weigh the grain tonight. Either way, I started to give her 2 bottles a day instead of 3.

Thanks.

Latest posts