Week old calf won't eat

Help Support CattleToday:

webercourtney

Reaction score
Last night we acquired two bottle fed calves. One calf is about a week old the other is two weeks. Both fed great last night and this morning at 1/2gallon each feeding per calf. At noon I fed both calves a medicated feed of 1/2gallon each again. I went out at 5pm and the older calf ate but the younger calf refused. I offered the younger calf the bottle again at 7pm and again refused. His energy seems down but not gone. I pocked at him a couple times and he got up and walked around. His poop was yellow and solid today. Idk if he was over fed or if I need to take him to the vet. Thanks.

first of all check the temperature, and watch the calf very closely for droopiness, fever, "the runs" etc. Maybe scale back the volume of milk a bit and only feed twice a day morning and night. On alot of the dairy farms up here, the calves are fed only twice a day unless they are sick or weak.

Yes, as said check temp. If there is a temp. and or coughing there could be a respiratory issue and antibiotics will be needed. If the calf has scours, but not down/extremely weak, I would forgo a feeding of milk and feed a electrolytes pak. Electrolytes will re-hydrate the calf. If the calf is extremely dehydrated, droopy ears, severe/runny scours you may need to have the vet give it a iv to replenish fluids. Taking the temp will be your first step though to see where you stand, good luck and keep us updated!
Jenna

This morning he took 3 pints and seemed back to normal. Going to watch him pretty close today, I pushed fluids last night and he ate about 1/2 pint of the electrolytes.