Week old calf - trouble...

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Need some opinions. I have a bull calf that is a week old. I noticed from the start he was real deliberate when he would nurse. I thought he was just a little slow. Well tonight I put out a little rice bran/csm to get them up where I could check them out. I noticed the cow had milk dripping from 2 teats. I thought this will give me an opportunity to watch him nurse. Well they finished eating and the calf started to nurse. The calf will nurse for about 5-6 seconds and then his mouth sort of slips off the teat and he'll stand there almost like he's fallen asleep! I watched for about 15-20 minutes while the other calves were gettin after it, there he was pokin around. He's off a heifer, but it looks like she's doin her part. I will also add that he did have the squirts. Overall, he looks pretty healthy. He'll run around and kick and buck w/ the other calves... Anybody got any suggestions??

Thanks in advance
Todd

We had one like that that had a heart condition.
Then we have had ones like that which had hard birthing and are slow on the uptake.
Best i can do sorry
RR

rockridgecattle":2jkxre7n said:
We had one like that that had a heart condition.
Then we have had ones like that which had hard birthing and are slow on the uptake.
Best i can do sorry
RR

Thanks RR, If he wasn't running around I'd be really worried. I've got to keep an eye on the runs, may give him a dose of Immodium...

You ain't got no problems as far as I can see. I've got calves that I rarely see nurse but if they're a week old and running around - they're getting fed.

rockridgecattle":b9ah10m5 said:
hard birthing and are slow on the uptake.

This was the first thought I had when I read the initial post. I have seen this as well and they eventually 'grow' out of it. They kind of have a 'duh' look to them.

Katherine

Thanks for all the input. Just wanted to update the thread. He's doing fine now. He attacks momma just like all the rest of them now. He did have that "duh" look for a while though. Again thanks for all the input. We had 4 SAF Directive calves, 2 bulls and 2 heifers. They ranged from 72 - 85 pounds based on weight tape measurements. Smallest was bull calf out of heifer and largest was bull calf - was her 2nd calf. He was born a day late, the earliest was 10 days early.

Latest posts