week old calf that won't take bottle

Help Support CattleToday:

CyberSnooze

Reaction score
I have a heifer calf that was born last monday night in a driving cold rain storm. Don't know if she ever got colostrum. She got progressively weaker and on the evening of day 4 I brought her inside and gave her electrolytes and an antibiotic. I had to tube her because she wouldn't suck a bottle. On day 5 the Vet came and gave more antibiotics, and a selenium shot. He said to keep her on electrolytes only, and turn her back out with mom on monday when she will be a week old. That will be tomorrow. However, she still won't suck a bottle and walks like she's 90. Should I worry about that?????? Is this the sink or swim theory?

I do not pretend to understand why the vet said only elctrolytes. It has no protien value
Imagine if you will, a new born baby, sick, dehydrated, cold and lacking the proper nutrition. Imagine now only feeding gatorade to the baby. How would the baby be after a week.
Get some 20/20/20 milk replacer and get protien into the baby, by drench or by the bottle. Or it won't need to swim...it'll just sink.
If I misunderstood, ooops by apologies
RR

sorry, my fault! I left out that when the vet checked her he said she had the scours and that milk would make it worse. He also said to be sure and give electrolyte before returning to mom so she wouldn't gorge on milk immediately. I'm more concerned about the fact that she's still weak. I can start her on milk, but if she didn't get colostrum won't putting her back in the herd be a death sentence. Or did the scours make her build antibodies?

A few thoughts...

1) if she had scours she should have been treated, if she HAS scours she still needs to be treated
2) missing out on colostrum is not a death sentence, but it does make them more succeptible to pathogens for the first few months of their lives
3) putting her back with the herd is also not a death sentence so long as she's with her dam (mother)... I wouldn't recommend dumping her out there to fend for herself
4) unless I'm mistaken, from reading your other post you already put her back out with her dam :???:
5) if #4 is correct, then my advise to you is the same as before, put cow and calf in a pen by themselves until they bond
6) check her her navel area, knees, and hocks for unusual heat or swelling

she would have developed some antibodies from the scours she got. There are many "brands" out there. If you have the ability it would be a good idea to put them in a small area. An area you can keep clean and have shelter for the little one. Might try to lock up the cow in a head gate or squeze, mat pen, two panels what have you and get the baby to suck.
Keep with the follow-up and watch for a secondary infection like pnemonia from being run down.
check the navel area for navel ill
Good luck

Re: possible risk of pneumonia if I put her out tomorrow.
Vet gave her a shot of Baytril on friday. All I have is LA-200. Should I give some of that tonight? She looks about 90 lbs, so 2cc. each side of the neck sq? My neighbors who has 400 head says LA-200 is crummy for pneumonia. He uses Nuflor. Any opinions?

Depending on what dosage the vet gave... I'd assume probably the single-dose treatment since s/he didn't leave any with you... the calf will probably be fine. Single-dose treatment results in theraputic levels for quite a few days. Wouldn't bother with LA200.

call the vet and find out what was given how long it would last. Always good to know so you can record the withdrawl times as well as not to overmedicate.

Good advice above:

1. Call the vet, know the dosage of meds... do not over-medicate the little bugger

You can try tubing "Scour-Ease (Optimil Complete)" which has a scour-guard with all milk in it so you don't have to do 2 feedings (1 electrolyte... wait 2-4 hours... then 1 milk replacer)... after 2 or 3 feedings of the Scour-Ease she should be looking better

Plenty of fluids... until her eyes are no longer sunk in... or you can also pinch the skin... if it doesn't snap back to being smooth right away... then she's dehydrated and needs more fluid.

Best of luck and remember --> they snap out of it as fast as they drop out (sometimes)

Latest posts