Week old calf stepped on by cow, split her hoof!

Help Support CattleToday:

all4ahorse

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a 9 day old Hereford heifer that got under foot of one of my older heifers during feeding time and she got her left front foot stepped on, slicing open the right side (vertically) of the hoof about an inch long. She bled a bit, could tell it was hurting her pretty badly. I ran for the betodine and was able to soak her hoof down with some of that. Their hooves are so soft, it doesn't take much for an injury....what else should I be doing for her? Should I have a vet out to look at it? Tetanus shot?? She is walking ok, in fact, took off running with Mama to the back pasture but she is limping.

Thanks for any advice,
Connie

If she's getting around that well, I'd just keep an eye on it and watch for any signs of swelling or infection. Otherwise maybe a furacine type spray to keep the flies off, and I bet she'll heal quickly.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it -- but as risky as cuts near joints tend to be -- in your shoes I'd give her a good dose of LA200 to prevent infection from setting in. Say 6-7cc/100lbs and repeat again in 2-3 days just to stay on the safe side. Clean the cut off, put some nitrofurazone on the wound (note it's not approved for food producing animals but as she won't be headed to slaughter for at least a year if she isn't kept as a replacement, it should be a non-issue), and just keep an eye on her.

Alternately you could just leave her be and she'd probably be fine too.

milkmaid":2in9fbib said:
I wouldn't be too concerned about it -- but as risky as cuts near joints tend to be -- in your shoes I'd give her a good dose of LA200 to prevent infection from setting in. Say 6-7cc/100lbs and repeat again in 2-3 days just to stay on the safe side. Clean the cut off, put some nitrofurazone on the wound (note it's not approved for food producing animals but as she won't be headed to slaughter for at least a year if she isn't kept as a replacement, it should be a non-issue), and just keep an eye on her.

Alternately you could just leave her be and she'd probably be fine too.

Very good advice, you could also soak the foot in a zincsulphate solution as it will speed up the healing process of the hoof itself and prevent footrot

Latest posts