Week old calf seizures after eating

Help Support CattleToday:

Jenc1982

Reaction score
A friend had a 1 week old calf that stopped nursing and gave it my kids to bottle feed. It is now a week and half old. It was pretty dehydrated, runny nose, cloudy eye on Sunday/Monday. We immediately started electrolytes 2x a day and medicated milk replacement 2x a day with LA300 for 4 days. It fainted on Sunday after the first feeding and we didn't think much of it, but now it seems to be fainting, falling over, and/or seizures within 5 minutes after every feeding. It lays down a minute then gets back up. Sometimes it has a second spell a couple minutes after the first. We had to tube feed it for a couple days, but it loves the bottle now. Also its eyes look normal, the calf has energy up walking around and even moos a little. Sometimes diahrea, but not all the time. Anyone ever had a calf with seizures after eating?

I know this is an old post. But I'm replying to it for anyone else who has this question. I recently bought a calf that was born 6 weeks early, it would fall down and have a seizure after eating, my vet had me give him Selinium with vitamin E paste for goats, and a Multimin 90 shot and a B vitamin shot and he was also struggling with diarrhea, so she gave me Exceed, Badamine, and Baytril. My advice for anyone who has a bottle calf or cattle in general is to get a good relationship with your local vet. And get BQA certified. So when you have to give shots you will be able to do it correctly.

Latest posts