Week old calf can't stand

Help Support CattleToday:

RycraftFarm

Reaction score
I have a one week old calf that I have been bottle feeding, he seems be strong and healthy but is unable to get up and stand on his own. He constantly is trying to get up, and is pushing with his hind end but can't seem to figure out how to get his front legs underneath him. I get him up multiple times a day, and if I hold him up he can bare weight on his legs but is very wobbly, and if I let go he would fall. We gave him a shot of BoSE last night, I'm hoping this helps. Does anyone have any advice?

We had a preemie that couldn't stand on her own (she's the little duffer in my lap in my avatar pic). I picked her up & held her between my legs multiple times a day, "teaching" her to stand & walk, did not give any additional meds except Vitamin B Complex. Kept her at the barn with her mama until she was able to get up & walk on her own for probably 3 weeks before letting them join the herd. She would still wobble around like a drunken sailor but continued to get stronger every day & had her 1st calf this year.

That said, assuming he doesn't have contracted tendons, it may be neurological & I would suggest taking him to the vet.

Good news... One day after giving the BoSe he stood up on his own, and as of today he is walking (very wobbly) and nursing on his momma like a pro.
We thought he wasn't going make it the night he was born, and now look at him. Definitely taught me to never give up!

Update on the calf's condition... He was up nursing and walking around the pasture with the rest of the herd for one week, he seemed great. And all of a sudden we are back to square one, he can't stand on his own and isn't that interested in a bottle now that he knows how to nurse on momma. He's 2 1/2 weeks old now, so he's pretty hard to get up without two people. Thoughts?

Stick your finger in his mouth & see if he sucks. Try molasses on the nipple of the bottle or use a smaller nipple. Worse case scenario is to tube him if he's not getting any nutrition. Vitamin B Complex is good for energy & maybe another round of BoSe but I'm still suggesting taking him to the vet or have one come out. In the meantime, if you really want him up you can twist his tail to get him started then help support him & possibly even help him nurse if his mama is docile enough. BTW does he have a temp?

TCRanch":3vjicmxo said:
Stick your finger in his mouth & see if he sucks. Try molasses on the nipple of the bottle or use a smaller nipple. Worse case scenario is to tube him if he's not getting any nutrition. Vitamin B Complex is good for energy & maybe another round of BoSe but I'm still suggesting taking him to the vet or have one come out. In the meantime, if you really want him up you can twist his tail to get him started then help support him & possibly even help him nurse if his mama is docile enough. BTW does he have a temp?
Darn.. Not sure what happened to the my response... Here I go again. He's now eating well (also getting electrolytes between feedings for a few days). All bodily functions seem normal, he's just really weak. I can stand him up and he will bare weight on his legs but has zero balance. We gave him another shot of BoSe but haven't seen any noticeable improvement. Time to see the vet I suppose. Thanks for the help.