week old bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I sold some bull calves last Saturday, I had a nice looking bull calf (Holstein, mostly black with white feet) he brought $160, he brought more than 2 weaned bull calves that were older. My thoughts now on bull calves are that I'm not gonna waste my time raising them, they will be going to the salebarn or a private buyer within a week of birth.

GMN

How old was the calf you got $160 for?
At the farm where I work, we usually just send the bull calves for veal...but the last two have been purchased by private buyers...one for breeding and one was steered and is going to become a kindergarten class mascot...not sure how well that will work out, but we got a better price for him anyways.

you can never tell what bull calves will bring.no matter if they are on the bottle or weaned.

LoveMoo11":1l8yepqd said:
At the farm where I work, we usually just send the bull calves for veal...but the last two have been purchased by private buyers...one for breeding and one was steered and is going to become a kindergarten class mascot...not sure how well that will work out, but we got a better price for him anyways.

It was 5 days old, why it went so high not sure, it was a nice looking bull calf, but the other I sold was a 3 weeks old and it only brought $120. Then the 2 weaned ones brought $150 each. Its just getting to be 2 much work raising bull calves if I can find a good outlet, and get $160 each for a few day old bull calf, I will just sell them.

GMN

GMN":584og68i said:
LoveMoo11":584og68i said:

It was 5 days old, why it went so high not sure, it was a nice looking bull calf, but the other I sold was a 3 weeks old and it only brought $120. Then the 2 weaned ones brought $150 each. Its just getting to be 2 much work raising bull calves if I can find a good outlet, and get $160 each for a few day old bull calf, I will just sell them.

GMN

GMN....5 day old bull calves down here won't bring $20....saw 450 lb. holstein steers bring $.32 a pound last week. Not worth the time and trouble.

Thats great, at the sale barn around here a bottle calf goes for under $50. Last set of 2 week old Holstein that ran through sold for $35 each.

Latest posts