Weedy new seeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

topstock

Reaction score
We cleared some overgrown brushy land and put a new seeding in in August. Some places look great, some places have pretty heavy weed population. How do I handle this? Do I brushhog high enough to clip the seed heads and not touch the hay? Graze it fast? Leave it until soring? Im worried that all those weed seeds are going to really take over.

I'm no expert, but I would wait til next spring and let the grass keep filling in some. Then spray when the time is right.

What did you seed? Just grasses or broad leaves too? If just grass I'd spray it this fall with Grazon Next. Before the weeds mature. If you planted alfalfa and clover then wait until next spring and mow it before the weeds go to seed.

Anytime you clear land you are going to have a boat load of weeds show up. I would brush hog it off and plant some rye grass into what you have. No matter what you do, it will need to be sprayed in the spring and probably again in mid-summer. Your location would help us make a better answer.

Anytime you clear land you are going to have a boat load of weeds show up. I would brush hog it off and plant some rye grass into what you have. No matter what you do, it will need to be sprayed in the spring and probably again in mid-summer. Your location would help us make a better answer.
Im in western NY. The seeding is clover, rye grass, timothy, a little fescue. My husband brush hogged it today ehile I was gone so we'll see what happens.

hopefully he cut it high so it gets a good snow cover to help it survive the winter. It is not uncommon to have a lot of weeds in new seeding. If you have a good stand in the spring, it should overtake the weeds. If the stand is light or a high amount of winter kill, the weeds will take over and you might as well start over. Hope it turns out good for you next spring.