Weeds

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello,
Can anyone please provide any ideas as to how I can get rid of 36 inch tall weeds without mowing? I have 40 acres, all pasture, no tractor.
I have 6 cows currently and they don't eat nearly close to make a dent in the pasture.
I've heard that goats and sheep eat weeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Depends on what the weeds are. Identify them, then maybe more actaul help is available. Take a picture and post it, or take it to your locacl herbicide dealer, NRCS office, University Extension, whatever you have available. Maybe even a nursery could help with the identity.

dun

Anonymous":3vp3o743 said:
Hello,
Can anyone please provide any ideas as to how I can get rid of 36 inch tall weeds without mowing? I have 40 acres, all pasture, no tractor.
I have 6 cows currently and they don't eat nearly close to make a dent in the pasture.
I've heard that goats and sheep eat weeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Check with your co-op and see if they can hook you up with a boom rig. Have em come out and spray em. Still don't see how you can make it long without a tractor though. :)

I've been mulling over this weed deal. The description of 36 inch high weeds isn't much of a clue. Currently we have curly dock, 2 varieties of thistle, red root pig weed, 2 varieties of rag weed, mares tail, lambs quarter, velvet leaf, cocklebur, poke, I can't think of any more just off hand, but they're all 3 ft tall. Some are toxic, some are highly invasive, some are ambivilent, some nothing seems to want to eat.
That's why it's important to know what you have before you try to get something to eat it. Last year a individual had a small pasture that was overgrown with red root pig weed. He turned in a bunch of calves to clean it up. That was all they had to eat in there and within a couple of days several were dead and the others were very sick.

dun

Isn't there a neighbor that would shred the pasture for you? Weeds that tall are not only going to reproduce, but you run the risk of eye infection (ie: pinkeye) if the cows are trying to graze in between the stalks.

dun":3voihox3 said:
I've been mulling over this weed deal. The description of 36 inch high weeds isn't much of a clue. Currently we have curly dock, 2 varieties of thistle, red root pig weed, 2 varieties of rag weed, mares tail, lambs quarter, velvet leaf, cocklebur, poke, I can't think of any more just off hand, but they're all 3 ft tall. Some are toxic, some are highly invasive, some are ambivilent, some nothing seems to want to eat.
That's why it's important to know what you have before you try to get something to eat it. Last year a individual had a small pasture that was overgrown with red root pig weed. He turned in a bunch of calves to clean it up. That was all they had to eat in there and within a couple of days several were dead and the others were very sick.

dun

After more mowing I can through in sericia lespedeza, queen anns lace, hemlock and a couple I haven't figured out yet

dun

Are you sending it to me or Dun, thanks I have plenty. Cannot count the way I hate that weed. Wondering if it grows up where Dun lives. A summer without smelling goatweed would truly be heaven.

cherokeeruby":2i7xap7h said:
Dun, noticed that you never mentioned goatweed. You are one lucky man if you don't get to enjoy the pleasure of goatweed.

What's it look like. BTW, these are only those that pass the 36 inch test. There are a jillion (conservative estimate) of others lower then that.

dun

Is this what it looks like?

gw.jpg

I don;t recognize it, similar but not exactly. I also forgot wild lettuce

dun

That's wooly croton. Tons of the stuff, but only about knee high. If you happen to have a pretty good sized area f titthat's kind of off by itself, mow it a couple of weeks before dove season. You'll have doves all over the place.

dun

Sounds like what we call goatweed, doves do eat the seeds in the fall. Does your's smell like a male goat and give you a screaming headache?

cherokeeruby":1tt8tozg said:
Sounds like what we call goatweed, doves do eat the seeds in the fall. Does your's smell like a male goat and give you a screaming headache?

Never noticed. I'll have to go get a wiff of it tomorrow. The stuff that gives me a headache is red root pig weed, plus it's pollinating right now and it's worse then ragweed for pollen. The tractor is yellow after mowing the crauff

dun

D.R. Cattle":2v35urat said:
2-4-D wreaks havoc on pigweed.
But it's slow to work. Lambsquarter shows signs within hours, pigweed takes a couple of days. Not as bad as cocklebur, but bad enough.

BTW, I crushed and sniffed some wooly croton this morning. It does sort of resemble a buck goat, not a real raunchy nasty one, but some. But you gotta remember, I like the smell of buck goats. That makes me perverse, if it was somebody else it would be wierd and not perverse

dun

D.R. Cattle":2nyylnjn said:
2-4-D wreaks havoc on pigweed.
But it's slow to work. Lambsquarter shows signs within hours, pigweed takes a couple of days. Not as bad as cocklebur, but bad enough.

BTW, I crushed and sniffed some wooly croton this morning. It does sort of resemble a buck goat, not a real raunchy nasty one, but some. But you gotta remember, I like the smell of buck goats. That makes me perverse, if it was somebody else it would be wierd and not perverse

dun

Latest posts