Weedeaters.........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Do you prefer straight or curved shaft? I have both and I just like the curved better, but see a lot with straight shafts. Usually the straight shafts are heavier, longer and I have to bend over more. Maybe it is just me. I like the little Featherlites the best. Here is some of mine as my wife says I have a mess, I disagree.

r8tGhoM.jpg

vXekiop.jpg

Just about can't use a curved. Plus most curved won't accommodate blades etc.

I prefer the straight ones as well, more reach, and they're designed for higher power. I have a blade with swather knives on it and that thing cuts anything.. cuts 1" brush and brambles like nothing.

If you're just using it for edging around gardens, etc, then the curved shaft is alright

The curved throw things away from you, the straight throws it at you.. Hated the straight forever, but then when my curved one died someone gave me a straight one one. Just had to get use to things coming at me. Its not really a problem unless you edge with it. I trim my giant wisteria with it and the straight reaches higher. Son bought some new string that is the bomb.. Its black and twisted looking. You can cut tough tall grass without it winding all up in it. Its cuts small trees too...

I've got both and prefer the curved one. Saw blade or chopper type blades and it works great

Brute 23":2voklzdv said:
Straight... Im 6'3 and most the curved ones are too short.
Hubby is 6'5" and has an extra long shaft on his Toro with all the attachments. Works for me because I'm hardly short but that thing is too much beast for me - subsequently I never have to use it :). He is, however, looking for a new one. What do you use?

jltrent":9sbin303 said:
Do you prefer straight or curved shaft? I have both and I just like the curved better, but see a lot with straight shafts. Usually the straight shafts are heavier, longer and I have to bend over more. Maybe it is just me. I like the little Featherlites the best. Here is some of mine as my wife says I have a mess, I disagree.

r8tGhoM.jpg

vXekiop.jpg

Boy howdy that's alot of weedeaters.

I don't like any of em straight or curved.

Ours is a Stihl FS106.. 25 years old now, has been fairly problem free, replaces the fuel line and put a carb kit in it last year. at the time it was the biggest available, and we're glad we got it.

4 legged weed eaters are less work!

TCRanch":1ukbe2ux said:
Brute 23":1ukbe2ux said:
Straight... Im 6'3 and most the curved ones are too short.
Hubby is 6'5" and has an extra long shaft on his Toro with all the attachments. Works for me because I'm hardly short but that thing is too much beast for me - subsequently I never have to use it :). He is, however, looking for a new one. What do you use?

I use an Echo brand. The straights are better than the curved but none of them are ideal like other have stated.

I'm tall, I've often wished they made a really really long curved shaft weedeater.

Does anyone use the big string trimmers on wheels? Something about running a weed eater just kills my back - I'm no good for 3 days after I weed eat, so I don't do it nearly as often as I should...

"Here is some of mine as my wife says I have a mess, I disagree"

I think I agree with the wife but then again looking at all the toys in the background, maybe he is just get ready for the troops to grow up. BTW I use a straight Echo when I have to use one.

ClodHopper37869":35ksc56u said:
Straight and STIHL.
lol

Amen! Just bought a Stihl FS91R straight shaft. Thing is a beast. I was cutting through 3/4-1" weeds and thistles WITH STRING!!!

I had never bought a Stihl product before but one day I needed a chain saw, was at my Ford dealer, also a Stihl dealer, and he had the 16" on sale. Great purchase. Fast forward. Wore it out (got to be hard to start) and was going to do rings and hoses on it and on a couple weed eaters I had; a Weed Eater brand, small one (single piston ring) and a McCullough 35 straight shaft (2 piston rings, I bought from TSC), for which I too have the wood cutting blade.

Did the rings on the WEs first and was not really happy with them in the first place; WE brand was too short, curved shaft, and Mc straight too heavy.....I passed the ¾ century mark, getting old so weight and ease of starting have gotten front row seats at my show. Both had been a chore to get started and I attributed that to worn rings....compression was below 90.

Was in a farm store one day and noticed that Stihl had an easy start chain saw on sale. Wrong time of year for that but couldn't pass it up. Got me to thinking about Stihl, made in the USA, gave me good service on the first one. So I picked it up and did notice their WEs hanging on the wall.

After fooling with the WEs mentioned above, I was back in that store and got to looking at their eaters; in season. Stihl had a lightweight curved shaft made for tall folks with easy start (fuel priming, choke, and easy pull), priced right; FS 50 model which is the long shaft (7" over normal) version of the 40 or 60 forget which.

It only has a 25ish cc engine but compared to my Mc 35cc cuts circles around it. It comes with a shoulder strap and with that long shank, mowing in a nice swinging motion side to side, not trimming; mowing with it is faster than my 20" push mower (40' square dogs pen) and one heck of a lot easier to start and less effort to use.

That's my story. Sorry to bore you. Naw, just drinking my morning coffee and felt like chewing-the-fat. Grin.

Happy clipping.
Mark

Latest posts