Weed wiper

Help Support CattleToday:

Gunner

Reaction score
Do any of you use any kind of "weed wiper" to control weeds in your pastures? I have been thinking of buying or building one to use on some coastal bermuda pastures I am trying to bring back to life. What type do you have (rope, carpet, sponge, rotating,) and is it effective? Which type would you recommend? Thank you.

I have had a Spiedel weed wiper for several years. I bought it to kill Johnson grass in my coastal. Here are the problems with them. One, all of the Johnson grass or whatever weed your are trying to kill isn't the same height so you may have to treat several times. Two I had mine mounted on the front end loader so that I could lower and raise it but I will still end up wiping and killing some of my coastal. Three, the Johnson grass is so thick that the wick can't replenish itself fast enough to get some on all of the Johnson grass. To aleviate this problem I bought one of those cheap 12V air compressors and I pressurize the wiper to get it to flow faster. Of course if you pressurize it too much it drips and kills more coastal. The fourth problem is that johnson grass and dallis grass seeds coat the canvas on the wipe and it doesn't work very good.

In summary- in my opinion I wasted my money buying it.
This year I was going to try Maverick to kill the Johnson grass but June was so dry I am short of hay and will need the Johnson grass.

Five - Spiedel should go back to making clocks. I had bad luck using it. I tried for a couple years killing Canada thistle in alfalfa and trefoil fields and it didn't do squat.

Just a tip on the weed wipers. If you will place some no slip tape like they use on stairs on the top of the wiper so the weeds can brush up against this before getting wet it will work much more effectively. Finer the grit the better.