Weed Wiper

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Mounted on the bucket of the tractor, 20 ft. that folds to 10 ft. with a flow control, tank & pump. Anyone familiar with this one? Pros/Cons? Suggestions? Wanting one for the johnsongrass that's trying to take over the brome.

I am interested in seeing if anyone has any experience as well. I have looked at several types from Smucker and they look nice. My only concern with the ones in the front is getting glyphosate on the tires and tracking on grass you dont want killed. Maybe that is me overthinking it?

Then, the ones you pull you are driving over the grass and mashing it down so do you get a good application? Im probably overthinking it. I can talk myself out of anything so don't pay any attention. Lol.

I had a Grass Works 15' 3 pt weed wiper model for several years. It worked great for what it was designed for. We didn't use it for a for a few years so sold it. Wish I had it back to go after the yellow indigos now. The Grass Works models are pricey but nice and you can get the end tow kit that makes it really handy to transport. I see them on auctiontime pretty reasonable. I'll try to post a link.

If not in a hurry I see them on Tractorhouse or AuctionTime for good prices. The ATV models look really handy too.

I'd go narrower rather than wider unless your ground is perfectly flat it is hard to keep the height right as from the picture it doesn't seem to have any height wheels to help it flow over the ground. I have found two passes are best at right angles to each other.

Ken

if your not doing a large area..my neighbor made one for his Bermuda field..used no pump .just filled the pipe..

It is hard to make a one size fit all anything. True, depending on the product used it will kill whatever the wick touches. One problem being
not all target species will be of adequate height so likely the problem will only be resolved for a short duration. I had a 12' wick mounted
on a front end loader that allowed me to 'kiss the ground' if the situation called for it. I did use it to kill mustard in 1st cutting alfalfa which
was ok albeit tracked the field. (I later went to fall applied herbicide to kill the mustard) I think they might work in a rotational grazing
environment if you would use one right after pulling the cattle and perhaps topping anything left uneaten. So you know, I made mine from
a PVC tube to hold the herbicide and rope wick on the bottom. I stopped using it as it was almost impossible to control the rate of flow
through the wicks. Doing it again I would use a holding tank and a pump system. I went to an [eat it today or go hungry] system and
that seemed to solve the weed problem. Your mileage may differ.

Never used one, but I owned a sprayer with a Smucker foam marker. It never missed a lick, and from reading their literature they are a company that is very conscientious about their products. I would buy from them again.

I had to clean the dirt from my finger nails to find it but luck did prevail..
Looks like Sencor D F @ 0.5 to 1.0 lb per acre using non ionic surfactant @ 1 qt per acre.
I am in loess soil and it was fall applied. (Sept Oct)? Not sure if soil type is issue but check just in case,
While I did get a good kill I still had enough come through the winter that I chased strays the next year with a hand sprayer.
My problem came from a custom baler using a contaminated windrower and baler.
Since then I have become observant about requiring any custom machinery to be clean before pulling into the field,

There may be better products than what I used by now so talk to your chemical supplier.
Another tip, if you apply manure from any hay with mustard in it I would pile it for a year before I put it on a field.
Just to let you know how much of a pain in the (_ _ s) it can be!
Good Luck!

Thanks for the comments. He's going to order one through AgSpray (relatively close to us) and I'll let you know how it goes.

@wbvs58 you have a good point about whether the ground is flat. We're in the southern part of the Flint Hills, so for the majority of the ranch, that's a big NO. That said, that majority of the brome fields are relatively flat, the alfalfa field is totally flat, and most of the johnsongrass is around the perimeter. There are some spotty areas but shouldn't be a problem with the flow control.

Not all use has been positive around here. Maybe some pressure to get enough liquid on plants would help or some sort of wet rug flopping on them. Folks got two passes at 90 degrees and still do not get full coverage.

I'd go narrower rather than wider unless your ground is perfectly flat it is hard to keep the height right as from the picture it doesn't seem to have any height wheels to help it flow over the ground. I have found two passes are best at right angles to each other.

Ken
I have always been told this. To make sure you get a good kill, it requires two passes to make sure you get good coverage.

@Lee VanRoss

I had to clean the dirt from my finger nails to find it but luck did prevail..
Looks like Sencor D F @ 0.5 to 1.0 lb per acre using non ionic surfactant @ 1 qt per acre.
I am in loess soil and it was fall applied. (Sept Oct)? Not sure if soil type is issue but check just in case,
While I did get a good kill I still had enough come through the winter that I chased strays the next year with a hand sprayer.
My problem came from a custom baler using a contaminated windrower and baler.
Since then I have become observant about requiring any custom machinery to be clean before pulling into the field,

There may be better products than what I used by now so talk to your chemical supplier.
Another tip, if you apply manure from any hay with mustard in it I would pile it for a year before I put it on a field.
Just to let you know how much of a pain in the (_ _ s) it can be!
Good Luck!

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure mine came in with the fertilizer trucks, that's the only outside source of contamination that field has seen in the last 15 years or so. Mustard is my biggest problem weed, that stuff is just nasty.

Not all use has been positive around here. Maybe some pressure to get enough liquid on plants would help or some sort of wet rug flopping on them. Folks got two passes at 90 degrees and still do not get full coverage.
I've Got a GrassWorks..........been mostly positive but it's a real "art" to getting thorough coverage....no matter which angles, trips, etc you use. And the pump to keep the roller just wet....but not too wet.....is a learning experience.

I have always been told this. To make sure you get a good kill, it requires two passes to make sure you get good coverage.
I had a narrow home built one, similar to what LVR described. (Probably not as fancy or durable) I found it only worked good if I made 2 passes in opposite directions. Didn't use it much as my weeds never seemed to grow anywhere near the same height. 2 seasons maybe and went strictly to spraying after that.

The weed wiper would be ideal on johnsongrass because at least here, there is nothing that will compete with it. It stays much higher than everything else. I don't know anything about brome though.

The weed wiper would be ideal on johnsongrass because at least here, there is nothing that will compete with it. It stays much higher than everything else. I don't know anything about brome though.
Much higher than the brome as well.

He did order it, should take a couple weeks and that will be the perfect time to hit the johnsongrass. Now, if we could just get some rain, we'll hopefully get a better yield this year.

Much higher than the brome as well.

He did order it, should take a couple weeks and that will be the perfect time to hit the johnsongrass. Now, if we could just get some rain, we'll hopefully get a better yield this year.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it does for you. My fields are 2/3 or better in johnsongrass. The rest is made up of a mix of fescue, orchard, clover, (and some weeds sprinkled in Lol).

So the first cutting is all the cool season stuff and then it gets hot out and the johnsongrass takes over. I actually like the johnsongrass but it can be hard to get dry here and all the other grass is dry long before it is.

Latest posts