Weed Wiper

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry":mb5fqdl9 said:
I saw one of these at the auction jltrent mentioned in his post. Has anyone used one of these and if so do they work as well as simply spraying on pastures?
It doesn't take but a little roundup to kill most weeds/Johnson grass. Set it just above the grass line and a couple years of applying will really thin the weeds and Johnson Grass. Spraying is better, but spraying will more than likely kill clover etc. and the wick want.

jltrent":1jeqglsb said:
sstterry":1jeqglsb said:
I saw one of these at the auction jltrent mentioned in his post. Has anyone used one of these and if so do they work as well as simply spraying on pastures?
It doesn't take but a little roundup to kill most weeds/Johnson grass. Set it just above the grass line and a couple years of applying will really thin the weeds and Johnson Grass. Spraying is better, but spraying will more than likely kill clover etc. and the wick want.
Thanks, did you go to the Auction?

I tried a weed wiper here years ago. It worked 'ok' but I found I really had to make 2 runs with it for it to even work 'ok'. One in each direction to get the herbicide on both sides of the plant foliage.
I was wiping Remedy and 2,4D on JG and wooley croton for the most part.
I think maybe in a row crop scenario where the weeds are up above the just emerged crop, they would work pretty good.

sstterry":zvubhe6s said:
jltrent":zvubhe6s said:
sstterry":zvubhe6s said:

I got there are 8:15A after walking through the flea market right before you get there and stayed until about 2:30P then came home and follow some on the internet the rest. Any tractor in decent shape sold good I thought. It was a very hot day. Did you make it?

jltrent":12gbx042 said:
sstterry":12gbx042 said:
jltrent":12gbx042 said:

I got there are 8:15A after walking through the flea market right before you get there and stayed until about 2:30P then came home and follow some on the internet the rest. Any tractor in decent shape sold good I thought. It was a very hot day. Did you make it?

No, I went to Greeneville and bought some minerals, salt, and chemicals. Then I worked on a Brush Hog and sprayed fence rows most of the day. I went by yesterday and looked at everything on the lot. I did follow a few things on the internet, including Kenny's Hay Roller. It seemed that most things went for more than normal, but I am no expert.

We had a 15' tractor mount model that worked good. I still think having someone come out and spray is the way to go so ended up selling it. Wish I had it from time to time though. It works best for targeting unwanted grass that's too expensive to kill by spraying.

We bought one last late fall...

35apy6e.jpg

2cgfxgy.jpg

It works, but it is a lot of work to get up up and going. We have wiped a bunch of JG, and most has died. If you have a lot of big patches, it works great and is worth the effort. You need to wipe two directions, to get both edges of the leaves....

Fire Sweep Ranch":3t7s094a said:
We bought one last late fall...

35apy6e.jpg

2cgfxgy.jpg

It works, but it is a lot of work to get up up and going. We have wiped a bunch of JG, and most has died. If you have a lot of big patches, it works great and is worth the effort. You need to wipe two directions, to get both edges of the leaves....
Is that one gravity or pump pressure fed?
Fabric wrapped or just the little tiny holes in pvc?

greybeard":2z8avyxk said:
I tried a weed wiper here years ago. It worked 'ok' but I found I really had to make 2 runs with it for it to even work 'ok'. One in each direction to get the herbicide on both sides of the plant foliage.
I was wiping Remedy and 2,4D on JG and wooley croton for the most part.
I think maybe in a row crop scenario where the weeds are up above the just emerged crop, they would work pretty good.

I had one for a while. "OK" is about the best way to describe it's performance, and that was on a good day.

And I agree with the row crop correlation.

greybeard":f0g7yy2v said:

It is gravity, and fabric wrapped. The biggest pain is getting the fabric primed. Once it is primed, it works great!

Fire Sweep Ranch":xc0mqspp said:
greybeard":xc0mqspp said:

It is gravity, and fabric wrapped. The biggest pain is getting the fabric primed. Once it is primed, it works great!
Where did you get that set up for the Gator? I have a few hills that I can get over with the Ranger but not a tractor.