Weed Killers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a weed kiler that is ok to spray on the pasture while the cows continue to graze? We have alot of cockle burrs and buttercup (the plant that has masses of tiny yellow flowers all over it). These plants are taking over the pastures and choking out the good grass.

[email protected]

I am using a product called Lo-Vol 24-D ester. It is economical for pasture use. Is a restricted use product and care to prevent drift to susceptible non-target plants is important. In a pasture siutation I don't care about the weeds being dead the next day or in 3-4 days, but that growth is stopped and in 2-3 weeks the weeds are dead. I use this because it is economical and effective with no or minimal grazing restrictions. Consult the specific product label for any restrictions.
> Does anyone have a good
> recommendation for a weed kiler
> that is ok to spray on the pasture
> while the cows continue to graze?
> We have alot of cockle burrs and
> buttercup (the plant that has
> masses of tiny yellow flowers all
> over it). These plants are taking
> over the pastures and choking out
> the good grass.

[email protected]

Grazon P+D is great for spot spraying cockleburs, thistle, and broad leaf weeds. We use it as a spot spray only on pasture since the entire pasture is in clover which is killed by this product. Works very well.

Bill's suggestion is an excellent one. However,P+D is going to cost alittle more, but you are going to get alittle more control, because the picloram active ingredient will provide some residual control effect. If thistles, bullnettle (deeper rooted weeds) are the dominate target weeds, P+D is the product of choice.

> Grazon P+D is great for spot
> spraying cockleburs, thistle, and
> broad leaf weeds. We use it as a
> spot spray only on pasture since
> the entire pasture is in clover
> which is killed by this product.
> Works very well.

[email protected]

I agree, but I use ester with surfactant when I am alittle late getting to spray and the weeds are larger than ideal and the ester seems to control some of the harder, deep rooted weeds. Most of the time amine works great.

> Amine 2-4-D works great too.

[email protected]

Latest posts