Weed identification and solution?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun the seed pods of this sre like those of the burdock.
Kinda soft not hard like porcupine eggs(cockleburr)
I didn't have any good luck with 24d. It set it back but didn't knock it out. Maybe my mix wasn't strong enough. The thistles responded, took about 5 days for them to be gone. But not this stuff.

7.5 oz per gallon of the 46.7% 2,4-d works for me. Just keilled a tone of them sunday and they're all withered and drying up already.

dun

I first thought it to be some type of dock, except it appears to have petals on the flowers. The dock I have saw only has green flowers without petals and alternating leaves. 2,4-d will get dock, without killing the grass. I just ain't sure its dock yet. I'm hoping to see if anyone knows for sure. It would help to identify if you looked at the leaves to see if they are op. or alt. Check to see if those are petals on the flowers as well. Also check for small "hairs" on bottom side of leaves and or stem.

Sprayed sunday with 2,4-d, I'll know better in a week how thoroguh it was

burdock.jpg

When I bought my place back in 93 this weed was everywhere.
I tried several different things to get rid of it. The best I have found is weed b gone that you can get anywhere. We always called that weed Burdock

Hey all,

That is definitely burdock, as I think you all have established. I am an Agronomy student and have had several classes regarding the control of certain weeds so maybe I can give some advice :)

The plant has an extensive root system and is difficult to kill with most common herbicides (2-4D, roundup). I would suggest using Curtail or Stinger. You can find the labels for these chemicals at this website: http://www.cdms.net/manuf/mprod.asp?mp= ... 1&manuf=11

These herbicides work well (but you still have to be persistent) on tough perennial broadleaf weeds like burdock, thistle, etc... and work best when sprayed when the plant is still in a rosette form in the fall or early spring. It will likely take more than one application too. Make sure to spray at the suggested rate because if you make it too strong, it will kill the above-ground material before the chemical has a chance to make it down to the root, which is really what you want to kill.

For this year, I would suggest spraying it as soon as possible to keep it from producing seed. Then, this fall, spray any new ones or any survivors again. Repeat in the spring.

I hope this helps! If there is one thing I am good at, its killing weeds!

:) 8) :roll:

I figured it probally was with so many people thinking it was. Its a little differant from the dock I usually see. Course Im way down South. It appears to have petals on the flowers, is petals common up north or am I seeing something that ain't there.

Bama":38az2jcl said:
I figured it probally was with so many people thinking it was. Its a little differant from the dock I usually see. Course Im way down South. It appears to have petals on the flowers, is petals common up north or am I seeing something that ain't there.

Burdock is pretty common up here, but ours is more of lacy fern-type looking plant with the little miniature cockleburrs on them. The burrs are somewhere between 1/4 -3/4's of an inch long and maybe 1/4" in diameter. I've never seen the type of burdock that was shown in the picture on this thread.

I have a bear hunt coming up the end of August in northern Maine. There is some Burdock there, I plan on taking a closer look at it. Weeds up north look differant from the ones down here.

Bama":327hheqn said:
I have a bear hunt coming up the end of August in northern Maine. There is some Burdock there, I plan on taking a closer look at it. Weeds up north look differant from the ones down here.

I'll try to remember to take my camera tomorrow and get some pictures of the burdock growing around the head-gate of the irrigation ditch. I've already sprayed a lot of it, but I'm sure there is more growing by now. :roll:

Latest posts