Weed identification and solution?

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Reaction score
I want to get rid of this. What works for you?
weed.jpg

I can't help with the identification as its not native to the southeast, as far as I know, It is a broadleaf. 2,4-d works great on most broadleafs. You may wan't to try it on some before spraying the whole pasture. 2,4-d is just about the cheapest thing on the market it will not kill grass but it will kill clover. 2,4-d can't be sprayed around cotton or some other crops as it is bad to drift. Given the right conditions its one of my favorites to use because of the price.

Bama":19qr27g9 said:
I can't help with the identification as its not native to the southeast, as far as I know, It is a broadleaf. 2,4-d works great on most broadleafs. You may wan't to try it on some before spraying the whole pasture. 2,4-d is just about the cheapest thing on the market it will not kill grass but it will kill clover. 2,4-d can't be sprayed around cotton or some other crops as it is bad to drift. Given the right conditions its one of my favorites to use because of the price.

If it is Burdock - kill it quick - unless you have a lot of sheep or goats - and they only eat it when they are forced to.

I figure Bama is on the mark - broad leaf killer will get this.

Bez!

I don't know what it is, but I do know it's not burdock. It kind of looks like some kind of wild lettuce. 2-4D might work on broadleaf weeds, but it doesn't work on all of them - case in point being milkweed (which I think is classified as a broadleaf weed, but I could be wrong). 2-4D will not touch at least some of the milkweed varieties, the only weedkiller that I know of that will is round-up.

msscamp":adlapg1o said:
I don't know what it is, but I do know it's not burdock. It kind of looks like some kind of wild lettuce. 2-4D might work on broadleaf weeds, but it doesn't work on all of them - case in point being milkweed (which I think is classified as a broadleaf weed, but I could be wrong). 2-4D will not touch at least some of the milkweed varieties, the only weedkiller that I know of that will is round-up.

Yer prob right and you have no idea how it pains me to admit a mere woman could be one up on the ole Bez!

But even I can be wrong once every 10 years or so.

Bez!

at first i thought it was that weed that has a tall brown spikey like thing on it. its called curly dock, i believe. then i thought maybe something akin to the dandelions or a prickly lettuce. but then i looked up common burdock and it does indeed look similar.

burdock1.jpg

mature%20burdock1.jpg

i'm with msscamp...
screw the directions, douse it with roundup and water. lol.

Uh - oh.

Maybe the ole Bez! still has his streak goin'.

:p

:D :D :D

8)

Bez!

Bez!":378k0ozz said:
Uh - oh.

Mybe the ole Bez! still has his streak goin'.

8)

Bez!

Gloating is unbecoming - have you ever seen me gloat? :p :p :p I knew I should have qualified my response. :roll: :roll:

msscamp":2zpkxks9 said:
Bez!":2zpkxks9 said:
Uh - oh.

8)

Bez!

Gloating is unbecoming - have you ever seen me gloat? :p :p :p I knew I should have qualified my response. :roll: :roll:

Is it my turn to call YOU "smarty pants"?

:D

Bez!

Bez!":1lzvolg2 said:
msscamp":1lzvolg2 said:
Bez!":1lzvolg2 said:
Uh - oh.

8)

Bez!

Is it my turn to call YOU "smarty pants"?

:D

Bez!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Thats it Burdock. But I have other private names for it.
This is what 24d did about 3 weeks ago.
I think it's got a second breath and 9 lives.
Round-up it is.
Thanks.
weed2.jpg

Used to call it burdock but was corrected by the weed folks at NRCS. Similar but different, it's cocklebur. Doesn;t really matter, 2,4-d is what we use and it's effective. After it wilts, the cows will eat the stuff like it's a salad with dressing.

dun

mine like wilted thistles. go figure.

or anything that has been sprayed with anything.

are you sure dun?
looks like it has the texture of burdock to me.

cocklebur
cocklebur1.jpg

That's what I was told. The leaves look kind of fuzzy to me like burdock. Doesn;t matter, I just killed a bunch of areas with 2,4-d.

dun

i have been relieving some stress with my machete and 6 foot thistles. they dont stand a chance. dad will be getting a new barrel of roundup shortly for his cotton. hasta la vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdock

They still look like burdock to me

We had 2 old cows, granny and another one that would fight over the thistles and eat the flower heads. Shipped the younger one of the 2, not granny, and now granny has no interest in them at all.
Watching those two close their eyes and stick their tongues way, way out and wrap it around the flowers was alwasy a riot.

dun

Latest posts