Weed identification and solution?

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
0
I want to get rid of this. What works for you?
weed.jpg
 

Bama

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
1,855
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Alabama
I can't help with the identification as its not native to the southeast, as far as I know, It is a broadleaf. 2,4-d works great on most broadleafs. You may wan't to try it on some before spraying the whole pasture. 2,4-d is just about the cheapest thing on the market it will not kill grass but it will kill clover. 2,4-d can't be sprayed around cotton or some other crops as it is bad to drift. Given the right conditions its one of my favorites to use because of the price.
 

Bez!

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
976
Reaction score
0
Bama":19qr27g9 said:
I can't help with the identification as its not native to the southeast, as far as I know, It is a broadleaf. 2,4-d works great on most broadleafs. You may wan't to try it on some before spraying the whole pasture. 2,4-d is just about the cheapest thing on the market it will not kill grass but it will kill clover. 2,4-d can't be sprayed around cotton or some other crops as it is bad to drift. Given the right conditions its one of my favorites to use because of the price.

If it is Burdock - kill it quick - unless you have a lot of sheep or goats - and they only eat it when they are forced to.

I figure Bama is on the mark - broad leaf killer will get this.

Bez!
 

msscamp

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
I don't know what it is, but I do know it's not burdock. It kind of looks like some kind of wild lettuce. 2-4D might work on broadleaf weeds, but it doesn't work on all of them - case in point being milkweed (which I think is classified as a broadleaf weed, but I could be wrong). 2-4D will not touch at least some of the milkweed varieties, the only weedkiller that I know of that will is round-up.
 

Bez!

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
976
Reaction score
0
msscamp":adlapg1o said:
I don't know what it is, but I do know it's not burdock. It kind of looks like some kind of wild lettuce. 2-4D might work on broadleaf weeds, but it doesn't work on all of them - case in point being milkweed (which I think is classified as a broadleaf weed, but I could be wrong). 2-4D will not touch at least some of the milkweed varieties, the only weedkiller that I know of that will is round-up.

Yer prob right and you have no idea how it pains me to admit a mere woman could be one up on the ole Bez!

But even I can be wrong once every 10 years or so.

Bez!
 

Beefy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
at first i thought it was that weed that has a tall brown spikey like thing on it. its called curly dock, i believe. then i thought maybe something akin to the dandelions or a prickly lettuce. but then i looked up common burdock and it does indeed look similar.

burdock1.jpg

mature%20burdock1.jpg


i'm with msscamp...
screw the directions, douse it with roundup and water. lol.
 

Bez!

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
976
Reaction score
0
Uh - oh.

Maybe the ole Bez! still has his streak goin'.

:p

:D :D :D

8)

Bez!
 

msscamp

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
Bez!":378k0ozz said:
Uh - oh.

Mybe the ole Bez! still has his streak goin'.

:p

:D :D :D

8)

Bez!

Gloating is unbecoming - have you ever seen me gloat? :p :p :p I knew I should have qualified my response. :roll: :roll:
 

Bez!

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
976
Reaction score
0
msscamp":2zpkxks9 said:
Bez!":2zpkxks9 said:
Uh - oh.

Mybe the ole Bez! still has his streak goin'.

:p

:D :D :D

8)

Bez!

Gloating is unbecoming - have you ever seen me gloat? :p :p :p I knew I should have qualified my response. :roll: :roll:

Is it my turn to call YOU "smarty pants"?

:D

Bez!
 

msscamp

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
Bez!":1lzvolg2 said:
msscamp":1lzvolg2 said:
Bez!":1lzvolg2 said:
Uh - oh.

Mybe the ole Bez! still has his streak goin'.

:p

:D :D :D

8)

Bez!

Gloating is unbecoming - have you ever seen me gloat? :p :p :p I knew I should have qualified my response. :roll: :roll:

Is it my turn to call YOU "smarty pants"?

:D

Bez!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
 
OP
dj

dj

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
0
Thats it Burdock. But I have other private names for it.
This is what 24d did about 3 weeks ago.
I think it's got a second breath and 9 lives.
Round-up it is.
Thanks.
weed2.jpg
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
Used to call it burdock but was corrected by the weed folks at NRCS. Similar but different, it's cocklebur. Doesn;t really matter, 2,4-d is what we use and it's effective. After it wilts, the cows will eat the stuff like it's a salad with dressing.

dun
 

Beefy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
mine like wilted thistles. go figure.

or anything that has been sprayed with anything.
 

Beefy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
are you sure dun?
looks like it has the texture of burdock to me.

cocklebur
cocklebur1.jpg
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
That's what I was told. The leaves look kind of fuzzy to me like burdock. Doesn;t matter, I just killed a bunch of areas with 2,4-d.

dun
 

Beefy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
i have been relieving some stress with my machete and 6 foot thistles. they dont stand a chance. dad will be getting a new barrel of roundup shortly for his cotton. hasta la vista.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdock

They still look like burdock to me

We had 2 old cows, granny and another one that would fight over the thistles and eat the flower heads. Shipped the younger one of the 2, not granny, and now granny has no interest in them at all.
Watching those two close their eyes and stick their tongues way, way out and wrap it around the flowers was alwasy a riot.

dun
 

Latest posts

Top