Weed Id

Help Support CattleToday:

srjohns1

Reaction score
Hello everyone I live in south Mississippi have had and seen this weed all my life don't know what it's called or how to get rid of it most any herbicide will kill it but it comes back any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

• ED9E2F16-01E1-473B-85DD-52507C5ABCE5.jpeg
    ED9E2F16-01E1-473B-85DD-52507C5ABCE5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 61E32647-770B-4AD1-8132-10B1FFA08798.jpeg
    61E32647-770B-4AD1-8132-10B1FFA08798.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
I think we have that same weed here in WY. I hate it. It pulls up easily but it grows everywhere.
I'd like to know what it is too. Does yours get a blossom on it, kind of a small pink, tall blossom?
If you find out, please let us know.

We call it water weed around here because it grows in low wet areas. If that's the same as what we have we spray 24d and it will knock it down for awhile. It likes the soil conditions in the low areas and grass doesn't establish enough to choke it out.

I have it or a version of it here too but unlike the description given at plantnet, the stuff I have grows pretty thick and close to the ground. Always in a low or damp area too.

We call it water weed around here because it grows in low wet areas. If that's the same as what we have we spray 24d and it will knock it down for awhile. It likes the soil conditions in the low areas and grass doesn't establish enough to choke it out.
I agree. I'm in North Louisiana and after searching for noxious weeds I found it, called alligator grass. I had a few low spots that as you said were wet and it took over. Heavy dose of 2D 4D will kill it. I Roundup mine now and then use the waste from around my hay rings to backfill the depression. Obviously I'm a small farmer!

There are lots of different types of Knotweed that range from 2" to 10' tall, this is the one we have around here which appears to pretty similar to your picture. Polygonum is the Genus for this one

Y
There are lots of different types of Knotweed that range from 2" to 10' tall, this is the one we have around here which appears to pretty similar to your picture. Polygonum is the Genus for this one
Yep that's it grows in low wet places will get about 2-3 feet tall if not sprayed or cut how do you get rid of it? I have seen it all my life but think I am fighting a loosing battle .

I will go with smartweed. I would help my uncle in his seed mill and in late summer it would come in with the seed we were to clean.
We never tried to isolate it from the other seed but it was not uncommon to accumulate a 55 gallon drums of weed seed.
We would keep some weed seed for the birds to feed when the snow fell or burn it, I had a few cows and let him know I wanted to feed
some to them, He said, ''won't eat it''. Despite the advice I hauled a gob home and mixed it with some pellets I hand on hand.
Next morning all the pellets were gone and the weed seed (I'd say mostly smartweed) was still in the bunk! I swear when I fed them
it appeared as if they were scoffing up everything in the bunk. When I told my uncle what had happened he just grinned.
I miss him,

If the Japanese beetles love it it's smartweed. They'll eat it til it looks like a skeleton, only the veins remaining.

Latest posts