weed control on fence lines

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 4 strand electric fence and I am constantly fighting weeds growing up around it. I have sprayed roundup and it kills them but only for a month or so until new weeds take their place. I am looking for a more permanent solution. I am interested in a ground sterilizer type product that will kill them for a year or more. I saw this type of a product at home depot but it was really expensive and only sold in small bottles. I need to treat about 3 miles of fence as well as about 1 acre of driveway. Any suggestions?

Anonymous":35ystccw said:
I have a 4 strand electric fence and I am constantly fighting weeds growing up around it. I have sprayed roundup and it kills them but only for a month or so until new weeds take their place. I am looking for a more permanent solution. I am interested in a ground sterilizer type product that will kill them for a year or more. I saw this type of a product at home depot but it was really expensive and only sold in small bottles. I need to treat about 3 miles of fence as well as about 1 acre of driveway. Any suggestions?
Go back to Home Depot, find the product, get the Brand name off of it, Manufacturer name, any phone numbers and web site address, post the info here and contact the company for deallers that sells it in larger quantities.
Anyone reading your post that is interested can do the same from the info that you would post.

Also get the "Generic Name (Ingredients)" from the label. Might be something really simple & cheap?? In a similar vein, after the Roundup patent expired, there have been at least 2 other brands that have the SAME 41% Glyphosate ingredient for about 40% of the Roundup price! Think one of them is called "Enforcer".

In decades past, before all of the EPA legislation, we had great results using creosote and used motor oil around posts and fence lines. Stayed in place where you put it and really kept weeds down.

ALSO, I have notice the Texas Department of Transportation has sprayed some black looking stuff along the bar ditches in our area after re-grading, etc., to keep dust/erosion down.... Incidentally, I think the Utility companies are still using cresoted poles for their lines.... Interesting...maybe creosote is not 100% "unapproved" ???

This is what I've learned from my experience. I've used round-up in the past and just like you said had to spray it every month. I use 2-4 D now which kills the weeds. It doesn't do anything for the grass but the grass doesn't get as tall this time of year as the weeds that were the first to return after the round-up. I've stayed away from using soil sterilants though for fear of run off. With my luck no matter when I sprayed it we'd get a large rain right after.

The stuff at Home Depot was Ortho Ground Clear. The Chemical in it is Triox. I did a search for generics and came up empty. The Ortho stuff is $53 for enough to treat 600 square feet. That works out to $3760 per acre. There has to be something cheaper.

I buy generic roundup (bucaneer plus) and can make 80 gallons of it at 4% for $45. Like I said it is good for a month but seeing how much the other is maybe it is best to spray once a month?

Anonymous":1e39z15u said:
The stuff at Home Depot was Ortho Ground Clear. The Chemical in it is Triox. I did a search for generics and came up empty. The Ortho stuff is $53 for enough to treat 600 square feet. That works out to $3760 per acre. There has to be something cheaper.

I buy generic roundup (bucaneer plus) and can make 80 gallons of it at 4% for $45. Like I said it is good for a month but seeing how much the other is maybe it is best to spray once a month?

You were talking about fence lines. It would take a helluva lot of fence line to make up an acre

Try this...

Sahara DG
Dry Concentrated Herbicide for Bare Ground

Sahara DG is a dry, granular concentrate that is mixed in water to be applied to soil where no vegetation is desired. This herbicide is for BARE GROUND vegetation control! Sahara DG can be tank mixed with Roundup, Scythe or other herbicides. This herbicide can also be mixed with a non-ionic surfactant spreader sticker.

Cannot be shipped to AK, CA, MA.

Each 2 pound container of Sahara DG is $49.50, plus shipping.

and the link where this can be found is http://www.pestproducts.com/herbicides/sahara_dg.htm

Triox is a real kick butt weed killer and preventative. The areas we sprayed with it didn't have anything grow for 5 years. Of course that was the desert and didn't get much rainfall. But the places we didn;t spray it we had an on going problem with stuff sprouting.

dun

Anonymous":11f161n0 said:

According to my CPCR Ortho Triox Contains: 0.5% Glyphosate and 0.08% Imazapyr

We usually use a generic roundup along with atrazine. Both are pretty cheap, and we only have to spray once a year.

This year I tried "Oust" it cost a little bit, but is supposed to last for 2-3 years, we'll find out if it's true or not, knocked the weeds down good at will last at least this year.

4 miles of fence at 2 foot width is 1 acre.

I will look into the Atrazine or Sahara. These seem like they would be good solutions.

Thanks.

Anonymous":265l8hcd said:
4 miles of fence at 2 foot width is 1 acre.

I will look into the Atrazine or Sahara. These seem like they would be good solutions.

Thanks.

I don't know where you are at but you will have to have a permit to buy atrazine, at least you do in Alabama. If you have a permit try grazon, if not try 2,4-D

We us a preamergant mixed with a weed killer. You should be able to get it from any farm supply place or seed supplier. That way you kill the existing weed and then it also makes the soil barren. You can usually get it to last different lengths of time. We usuall do a year at a time. We have also used it on our hay fields to clear stickers and tar weed several months before planting.
I wish I could tell you the price and mixing ratio but we don't have that information at this time. Good luck. Hope this works for you.

Just spot spray the weeds only. let the grass fill in. otherwise you'll be fighting weeds where there was grass.

What precentage of round up did you apply? 1% , 2% etc. Do you have a TSC store near you? If so buy the Big and Tuff made by Gordons spray it at 5% or greater. It is half the price of round up Iam going on 3 months no grass no weeds on my fence rows. Good luck

Nufarm makes a product called Polaris. its about $30 for 1 quart. 1 quart and will sterilize 1/2 acre for the season

Velpar works well. Especially when used over several years. Application is bit different. Its not a contact herbicide. It kills by being taken up by the roots and so needs to be applied when it is wet so that it gets good soil penetration. One application can have noticeable effects for years (depends on drainage) so only use it on permanent fence lines.