Weed and Brush controll on fence lines

Help Support CattleToday:

Tman

Reaction score
What do you use for weed controll along the fences ? Same as for mesquite and huisache ? I am in Central Texas, San Antonio area.

Thanx

I agree. I use this stuff called Bucanneer Plus. It is basically the same as Roundup Pro in that it is 41% Glyphosate and it contains a surfactant. I can get 2.5 gallon jugs of it at the farm co-op for $43. About 1/3 of the cost of the name brand stuff and it works just as good. The best thing I did to help my spraying efforts was to mix a dye with the spray so I can see what I am spraying and that I get good coverage. I buy the dye at the co-op as well and $10 worth is good for around 250 gallons of spray.

Whatever you do don't buy Roundup at lowes or home depot or the like. The majority of the stuff they sell is only a 21% formula meaning that a 1 gallon jug only has as much chemical as 1/2 gallon of the 41% stuff.

Tman":1svwaw9i said:
What do you use for weed controll along the fences ? Same as for mesquite and huisache ? I am in Central Texas, San Antonio area.

Thanx

it depends on what kind of weeds you're talking about. just general grasses, roundup will work. p+d or 2,4-d will work on most of the true weeds. p+d will also work on rose hedges which have a tendency to grow up on fence lines.

If you have woody type growth along the fence line, Remedy works well. You can get it at the feed store or Tractor Supply. Good for small trees, briars, tough vines, etc. If it is too touch for the Remedy to kill it, you had better get a sharp machete and go after it hand to hand. Good luck. Let us know how you did.

I know this thrread was about fence line treatments, but I have a similar question about general weed control such as ragweed in pastures.

The MSDS on Ultra Roundup says to wait 14 days after application before grazing. It also says " No more than one-tenth of any acre should be treated at one time." Geez, doesn't that mean it could take 140 days to do one acre? How do you guys deal with these restrictions?

When I asked the local ag agent about the 1/10 acre restriction he was unaware of it until I emailed the MSDS to him and said he'd look into it. Since then (3 months ago) I have been unable to get a hold of him.

Remedy has at least the 14 day restriction for haying for meat animals. But as long as next season for haying for lactating dairy animals.

I have not used these products because these restrictions have worried me but would sure like to hear how you guys have dealt with these restrictions.

for general weed control i use 2-4d or grazon p-d . i hold cattle of the field for for about a week ... i use Remedy to spot spray for brush and berry vines.

:oops: Never mind on how long to keep the animals off the pasture. If I would've just read the entire reply ahead of mine I wouldn't have had to ask that. Sometimes I worry 'bout me!!!

dcara":1pbgjzjn said:
The MSDS on Ultra Roundup says to wait 14 days after application before grazing. It also says " No more than one-tenth of any acre should be treated at one time." Geez, doesn't that mean it could take 140 days to do one acre? How do you guys deal with these restrictions?

When I asked the local ag agent about the 1/10 acre restriction he was unaware of it until I emailed the MSDS to him and said he'd look into it. Since then (3 months ago) I have been unable to get a hold of him.

One of the special properties of glyphosate, the active ingredient of Round Up, is the ability to kill the roots of the plant, not just the foliage. If the treated area is grazed, then the active is removed from the field along with the grass that is consumed. The 14 day restriction is in place to allow time for the active to translocate from the foliage to the roots. I don't know about the 1/10 acre restriction but I'm checking for you. I'll let you know what the biologist/weed scientists have to say. FYI, in no way is any of this related to safety, it's efficacy stuff. In terms of safety, for example, the label states that you can apply a light dose of Roundup to alfalfa and harvest in 36 hours.

ffscj":u7fwzrep said:
How long after applying 2,4-d should I start to see results? And how long should I keep grazing animals off if I spot treat?
Thanks.
Chris

The 2,4-D label calls for no grazing restrictions on pastureland, except 7 days for dairy cattle and 3 days prior to slaughter. My personal restriction is to try not to run over 'em while I'm spraying. :lol: Your's may vary.

Susceptability of weeds to 2,4-D and other herbicides vary. With weeds that are easy to kill like goatweed, on a hot day you will start to see wilting within a few hours. Often you will notice by the time you finish a tank.

By the way Chris, I assume you have some Bahiagrass? If so, even low concentrations of 2,4-D will give you some burning and yellowing that you won't see on Bermudas. It'll come out of it in a few days. Or always has for me, I should say.

Thanks Texan. I saw the restriction about dairy and slaughter cows but just wanted to get some real information from those who haved used it.

Also thanks for the heads up on the bahia. The feed store said that it was good for bahia but not to use it on St. Augustine. I would have been real unhappy to see that brown grass and would thought that I I had kilt it. Now I won't panic but will try it on a small area just to be sure.

Thanks again,
Chris

We have a 300 gallon tank. We mix the chemical portion 1/4 grazon and 3/4 2-4D for the pastures. It cuts the cost down and I still get some residule from the Grazon. We have a 30 ft boom and put a seperate 15 gallon tank and pump and run a seperate tip to each end of the boom. We put the pasture dye in this tank and it makes a little strip on each end of the boom so we can tell what we've sprayed. Works like a charm and the whole pasture isn't blue and it also cuts down on the price of the dye since we dont have to use very much. The 15 gallons lasts for 1 1/2 300 gallon fill ups. For spot spraying sticker bushes, little trees and fence rows we use remedy.

If anybody is still interested I did check with the environmental scientists regarding the grazing restrictions on RoundUp ultra. In fact, although it pains me to admit it, my original post was incorrect. The grazing restrictions are on the label not for translocation or activity reasons but in order to limit crop residue. The restrictions are based on the upper limit of the test data available. The tests have not been rerun to get higher tolerances because they are 1) long term and 2) expensive. Doug, I was told that the label you have is an old label and the newest label only requires a 7 day wait for application rates in excess of 2 quarts per acre. None of the restrictions including the 10% area limitation apply to application rates less than 2 quarts per acre. Here's a link that will get you to the newest Ultra label.

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_ag/ ... asp#labels

Why worry about just grass and weeds along fenclines? Brush I can see removing, but why the other stuff?

dun

dun":3ukhpvrx said:
Why worry about just grass and weeds along fenclines? Brush I can see removing, but why the other stuff?

dun

Dun, I can tell you why we do it. Don't know about the others. One reason is that it makes it easier to maintain a fence if you can get to it easier. Another is that it seems like the wire holds up better if it doesn't have wet grass on it all spring and summer contributing to rust.

Most important reason is to keep the cows from trying to eat through and putting too much pressure on our old rotten fences! ;-) We spray a pretty wide swath along our hay meadow fences for this reason.

Latest posts