Wednesday Morning Livestock

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Cattle futures opened lower this morning on a weak fundamental outlook and on spillover from the pork complex. The pork news came in the form of Japan lifting it's ban on pork imports. As of this writing, I'm hearing of $75 cash trade and that the showlists have been cleaned up. Beef prices have held their ground and slaughter is coming along as the packers try to move product at current profitable margins. Demand is still the key here and we need to see the consumer pick up the ball and run with it. While fund selling has pressured June fats, it sure does look like a nice spot to start buying. This is NOT a recommendation. Trading involves risk which may not be suitable for everyone.

my site
[email protected]

> Cattle futures opened lower this
> morning on a weak fundamental
> outlook and on spillover from the
> pork complex. The pork news came
> in the form of Japan lifting it's
> ban on pork imports. As of this
> writing, I'm hearing of $75 cash
> trade and that the showlists have
> been cleaned up. Beef prices have
> held their ground and slaughter is
> coming along as the packers try to
> move product at current profitable
> margins. Demand is still the key
> here and we need to see the
> consumer pick up the ball and run
> with it. While fund selling has
> pressured June fats, it sure does
> look like a nice spot to start
> buying. This is NOT a
> recommendation. Trading involves
> risk which may not be suitable for
> everyone.

I cannot speak for anyone else but as far as I am concerned, one (1) of your articles per WEEK would be more than I need. It is my understanding that these boards are for beef producers to exchange ideas, not for market news. That information is available through other sources. Also, it seems to me that this smacks of advertising which is not supposed to happen on these boards. I have had my say and I would like to hear comments from other beef producers. If I am the only one who feels this way, I will back off and start using other sources.

Mack Powers XP Acres

[email protected]

Sorry if I've stepped on any toes here. I was approached by the people running this site and asked to post a morning, midday and closing comment each day. They also offered to allow me to post a link to my site. No strings attached. I think it can be important to post three times a day as the markets do change throughout the day. I don't do the hard sell thing, so there is no need to worry about getting sold on anything. I try to do everything above board and cleanly. I agreed to post the daily comments with the folks that run this board, so if anyone has any problems with it, then maybe drop them a line. I'll gladly try to work things out to keep everyone happy. The other thing, which I think is very simple, is that folks visiting here can just scroll right past anything that I post if they aren't interested.

[email protected]

> Sorry if I've stepped on any toes
> here. I was approached by the
> people running this site and asked
> to post a morning, midday and
> closing comment each day. They
> also offered to allow me to post a
> link to my site. No strings
> attached. I think it can be
> important to post three times a
> day as the markets do change
> throughout the day. I don't do the
> hard sell thing, so there is no
> need to worry about getting sold
> on anything. I try to do
> everything above board and
> cleanly. I agreed to post the
> daily comments with the folks that
> run this board, so if anyone has
> any problems with it, then maybe
> drop them a line. I'll gladly try
> to work things out to keep
> everyone happy. The other thing,
> which I think is very simple, is
> that folks visiting here can just
> scroll right past anything that I
> post if they aren't interested.

I appreciate your prompt response and I intended no offense. I simply stated my opinion and hopefully opened the door for others to speak out. I have always viewed these boards as being an avenue for beef producers to discuss the day to day problems on the farm or ranch. Of course I am interested in the marketing of the end product but I feel that marketing informatin is best covered in print media. I am of the opinion that market reports are as far removed from the day to day operation as is the discussion of the price and availability of the next truck I need to buy. As I stated in my first message, these are just my opinions and if I am in the minority, I will back of and let the others enjoy your market reports. I must say that "Cattle Today" should know their readership better than I do. I am only going by what I have read in the various messages on the boards, and I do not recall many if any messages from feed yards. I sell my calves when they are ready and the relationship between the prices you quote in your report and the price I get from the local sale barn are so far removed in time that there is little if any coorelation. Your information would be extremely useful to the feed lot operator, but he has already paid me what he wants to pay for my calves. If my initial response offended any one, I am sorry. I have had my say and I will wait to hear what others have to say. If I am in the minority, I will remain silent except to thank you for providing a service for others.

Mack Powers

[email protected]

Your concerns are well understood and I respect them. My end of this business is, in my opinion, 70% pond scum. There are plenty of people out there selling total garbage in a fancy wrapper knowing full well that there is nothing of value behind what they offer. I don't claim to be bigger or better than anyone, but I do lay my cards on the table and people are free to draw their conclusions and will never be hassled for business. Hope this helps a little.

[email protected]

Latest posts