Website Problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Well...I've about had it!!

We have two websites for Running Arrow Farm. One we've had about 4 years which is hosted by NS. They have a good format to use, "pre-designed" blocks to put info in, fairly easy loading of photos, etc. However, we have had continual problems with their service in terms of getting "timed out" (requiring re-login) after 25-30 minutes, slow changing of pages and updating pages, and of late, not accepting our login info (requiring upto 3 or 4 login attempts to access our "edit" mode on our site.

Our "other" website has no "time-out" issues, once you "save" a page it is "online". This site also has our online store capabilities; and, 3-4 times more pages we can put information on. "This" site is hosted by "merchant-e solutions" and is working much better for us all-around.

In sum, I am gradually moving our information FROM our http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com site to our "Better" site, http://www.runningarrowfarm.com. Hopefully over the next several months I'll have the transition made as I experiment with page options, etc.

The main reason for this post is to alert people to our website transition; and, to note that not "all" website hosting companies are all they are cracked up to be. We don't use any of the "free" sites and don't intend to. With our e-commerce credit-card acceptance capability with real-time ordering, I just didn't want the hassle of re-doing all of that credit card stuff. We don't use Paypal and don't plan to.

Over the years I have had my own horror stories with website development, using "webmasters", etc. Think I am on the right track now...lol

:)

Running Arrow Bill":2m8egv05 said:
Well...I've about had it!!

We have two websites for Running Arrow Farm. One we've had about 4 years which is hosted by NS. They have a good format to use, "pre-designed" blocks to put info in, fairly easy loading of photos, etc. However, we have had continual problems with their service in terms of getting "timed out" (requiring re-login) after 25-30 minutes, slow changing of pages and updating pages, and of late, not accepting our login info (requiring upto 3 or 4 login attempts to access our "edit" mode on our site.

Our "other" website has no "time-out" issues, once you "save" a page it is "online". This site also has our online store capabilities; and, 3-4 times more pages we can put information on. "This" site is hosted by "merchant-e solutions" and is working much better for us all-around.

In sum, I am gradually moving our information FROM our http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com site to our "Better" site, http://www.runningarrowfarm.com. Hopefully over the next several months I'll have the transition made as I experiment with page options, etc.

The main reason for this post is to alert people to our website transition; and, to note that not "all" website hosting companies are all they are cracked up to be. We don't use any of the "free" sites and don't intend to. With our e-commerce credit-card acceptance capability with real-time ordering, I just didn't want the hassle of re-doing all of that credit card stuff. We don't use Paypal and don't plan to.

Over the years I have had my own horror stories with website development, using "webmasters", etc. Think I am on the right track now...lol

:)

Hey Bill - I am about to show my ignorance - so no laughing at me - at least not yet. :D 8)

Why not buy and use your own server? If you look around, you might find what you need fairly cheap. You could host two or three others to create a bit of cash flow.

Just a thought from a techno dummy.

Bez?

Bez?

You would still have to have a high speed (as in T1) connection to the internet if you wanted to have a site that would load quickly and have the ability for multiple people to have access at the same time PLUS you would be responsible for internet security, not something for an un-technically savvy person to be responsible for IMO. There are too many people out there spending way too much time just coming up with ways to hack in to peoples systems and either steal info or destroy them. Maybe Macon could add more ????

sidney411":cx43hf1m said:
Bez?

You would still have to have a high speed (as in T1) connection to the internet if you wanted to have a site that would load quickly and have the ability for multiple people to have access at the same time PLUS you would be responsible for internet security, not something for an un-technically savvy person to be responsible for IMO. There are too many people out there spending way too much time just coming up with ways to hack in to peoples systems and either steal info or destroy them. Maybe Macon could add more ????

I agree! Having own server and/or hosting other's sites would be a potential problem(s), disaster(s) waiting to happen. Not counting all of the hassles, etc.

As a person who has literally written thousands of pages of copy (in academe, books, articles, etc.) over the past 40 years, I want my time/energy spent on "creating" copy and communicating...not on technical issues (and, I am FAR from being computer techno-savvy)...lol.

It's like anything else...if a "supplier" or "vendor" (of anything) doesn't give you the service you need...well..."go buy your stuff from someone else"! LOL!!

OK guys - so I showed my ignorance. 8)

Either way it seems there are folks out there who are always trying to improve the systems available.

Someday there may be an affordable and "almost" hacker free system for the small operator.

Regards

Bez?

Latest posts