Weatherby 340 for a female?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Brother just bought his wife a .340mag Mk V. Has the long muzzle brake on it.
Her only other experience is a .240. How much difference in recoil is she going to notice?

No, I'm not kidding.

There was something wrong with her .240. About 1/2 the time, it would break open upon firing.
He bought her the .340, handed it to her and said "Now you can play with the big boys".
:lol2:
She's a big girl, but I dunno about this...

greybeard":12q97sk8 said:
No, I'm not kidding.

There was something wrong with her .240. About 1/2 the time, it would break open upon firing.
He bought her the .340, handed it to her and said "Now you can play with the big boys".

My Winchester M70 .375 H&H which is the minimum caliber for dangerous game you are allowed to use in Zimbabwe has about the same recoil. I would not recommend that for a woman. Mine has a mercury filled tube fitted into the buttstock. Makes an amazing difference in recoil.

Her with her .240 at the table. She's a lefty and the pic looks odd and that's one of the reasons he bought the .340. It's a left too.

Typically with a single shot it if pops open it's because of too high of pressure. If they're reloads he needs to back them down some.

dun":3dipi3mu said:
Typically with a single shot it if pops open it's because of too high of pressure. If they're reloads he needs to back them down some.
Thanks. He does reload some ammo. I'll pass that on to him.

I have a .416 Rigby and have shot my Dad's .450/.400 double. I have also shot a .340 Weatherby that belonged to a guide on an Alaskan Brown Bear hunt. The booming rocking recoil of either of them was/is more pleasant than the sharp biting recoiled of the .340 Weatherby. I love Weatherby's and there are a bunch of them hanging around here, I've got 2 .300 Weatherby's and a .257 Weatherby, my Dad has a .300 Weatherby and my Brother in Law has a .270 Weatherby and a .30-378 Weatherby. All that Weatherby love aside, they are loud, they have huge for class recoil and above .300 Weatherby are not fun to shoot.

Margonme":3pcyjcre said:
greybeard":3pcyjcre said:
No, I'm not kidding.

My Winchester M70 .375 H&H which is the minimum caliber for dangerous game you are allowed to use in Zimbabwe has about the same recoil. I would not recommend that for a woman. Mine has a mercury filled tube fitted into the buttstock. Makes an amazing difference in recoil.
Then what is a woman supposed to do if a dangerous game got after her?
Holler for Tarzan? :help:
May be repeating myself but we were shooting one day and a big old boy pulled his S&W .44 magnum out of his overalls pocket and he shot a few rounds, then I shot it. I told him to let my wife, who is not very big, shoot it and he chuckled at the idea.
When she started popping them in the target as good as any of us he changed his attitude.
I knew she could do it but a 12 gauge pump beats her up some but that is probably because the gun doesn't fit her.
I don't know anything about those heavy rifles so I am interested in what is being said.

Ryder":16ctlrf3 said:
Margonme":16ctlrf3 said:
greybeard":16ctlrf3 said:
No, I'm not kidding.

Then what is a woman supposed to do if a dangerous game got after her?
Holler for Tarzan? :help:
May be repeating myself but we were shooting one day and a big old boy pulled his S&W .44 magnum out of his overalls pocket and he shot a few rounds, then I shot it. I told him to let my wife, who is not very big, shoot it and he chuckled at the idea.
When she started popping them in the target as good as any of us he changed his attitude.
I knew she could do it but a 12 gauge pump beats her up some but that is probably because the gun doesn't fit her.
I don't know anything about those heavy rifles so I am interested in what is being said.

js1234 is correct, those Weatherbys have a quick sharp recoil. I am not a fan of the Weatherby calibers. A woman can do the same thing I did. Put a recoil suppressor in the rifle. The mercury filled tube contains liquid mercury which is heavy like lead. The tube is only half full, as the rifle recoils, the mercury goes forward to counter the recoil. It makes the rifle heavy but it is worth the trade off.

Margonme":259gis0q said:
js1234 is correct, those Weatherbys have a quick sharp recoil. I am not a fan of the Weatherby calibers. A woman can do the same thing I did. Put a recoil suppressor in the rifle. The mercury filled tube contains liquid mercury which is heavy like lead. The tube is only half full, as the rifle recoils, the mercury goes forward to counter the recoil. It makes the rifle heavy but it is worth the trade off.
I use the mercury ones that have a spring in them for my turkey gun. Sitting down against a tree when you touch it off can do wonderful things to your body without the recoil reducer.

My shoulder hurts just remembering what a 340 is like. I worked for a year on Afognak Island. That is the next island north of Kodiak. There was a pretty good assortment of bear guns in camp. Of course we had to try all of them out. I thought my little light Sako 375 H&H kicked but it had nothing on that 340.
Why buy a 340 anyway? Is she planning on hunting big bear or African lions?

I asked him about the same thing Dave. He just said "It was there, price was right and left hand rifles are hard to find around here"..

greybeard":29e8figk said:
I asked him about the same thing Dave. He just said "It was there, price was right and left hand rifles are hard to find around here"..

My oldest son is also left handed. With a little shopping around and not getting in too big of a hurry he found a nice Remington 700 in 7 Mag. He passed on several other left handed rifles before I bought the Remington. They are out there.

Margonme":2ee5cgph said:
dun":2ee5cgph said:
A Ruger #1 takes care of the "handed" issues.

Yes. And simple to operate. Comes in ideal calibers for any purpose.
And is the most comforatble .375 H&H I've ever fired. Much gentler then any bolt action 300 win mag

Latest posts