weather

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
Its -32 here this morning ( again) but now its windy and the wind chill factor is -48. The news said Saskatachewan is -46 without windchill.

Is any one calving in this? Is anyone wondering where this global warming is? .......and when the heck is it going to get here?

I heard a statement the other day on the news that the global warming folks say global warming may cause cooling. HMMMMMMMMM

dun

It's pretty nice down here in Oklahoma. About 30 degrees this AM, up from the low 20s last night. Sunshine, and supposed to get up to almost 60 degrees this afternoon. Hang in there. Spring's coming....

It has been real mild here so far. Most of this winter we have had highs in the 50's and 60's. Better knock on wood it is lible to change.

It got to freezing by around noon. Almost dangerous to be out on the roads. Ice sheets blowing off passing vehicles and ice falling from the overhead wires.
I discovered that powered high tensile fencing is pretty well negated by an ice storm. Of course so is barbed wire. When the ice coats it to the outside length of the barbs it doesn't have much affect. Of course it does make it easier to slip through without hangin up clotheing.

dun

Sheez! I was complaining about how uncomfortable it was this morning. 41F. But thankfully it warmed up into the 60's when the sun rose. We're supposed to get a humdinger tonight. It might get down into the upper 30's.

bward":3pbgaplz said:
Its -32 here this morning ( again) but now its windy and the wind chill factor is -48. The news said Saskatachewan is -46 without windchill.

Is any one calving in this? Is anyone wondering where this global warming is? .......and when the heck is it going to get here?

We have about the same down here in Montana- Solid week of blizzards with one days break to dig out. 4 inches of new snow yesterday on top of the 4 feet we've already recieved. Now its -20 with 30mph winds, -49 chill factor and more snow. Roads are all plugged- and this is supposed to continue on into the weekend!!

I wish a few of those global warming guys would come up here and help me feed for a few days. Get some hands on scientific study.

High of 2 here and we have about 10-15 inches of snow on the ground... I heard the windchill was somewhere around -25. We have a few cows that are calving right now (late fall, way way early spring) It really stinks we lost a cow due to malpresentation of a dead calf right before the storm and we can't get out to one set of stocks due to 3-4' drifts.

Oldtimer":t7eeaqrs said:
bward":t7eeaqrs said:

We have about the same down here in Montana- Solid week of blizzards with one days break to dig out. 4 inches of new snow yesterday on top of the 4 feet we've already recieved. Now its -20 with 30mph winds, -49 chill factor and more snow. Roads are all plugged- and this is supposed to continue on into the weekend!!

I wish a few of those global warming guys would come up here and help me feed for a few days. Get some hands on scientific study.

The thing that amazes me is how the Indians were able to survive. I assume they would head for the low country and hunker down all winter but it still must have been downright miserable.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":1h43o8x3 said:
Oldtimer":1h43o8x3 said:
bward":1h43o8x3 said:

The thing that amazes me is how the Indians were able to survive. I assume they would head for the low country and hunker down all winter but it still must have been downright miserable.

Craig-TX

Winters like this make you appreciate how tough the Indians and the old homesteaders were. Can you imagine spending a winter in a one room shack 30 miles from the nearest town? Tough, tough people.

roads here been plugged for 18 hours had to dig my way to barn this morning 8 ft drifts. took 2 hours just to get to barn to feed .winder then hell now i must make my way through drifts to feed tonight!!!lucky all the heifers calf in the spring??

I remember one of the books I read to my kids. It was "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She told about her husband's childhood in upstate NY in the late 1800s. IMO one of the most impressive stories was how his father had some cattle that would not fit in the barn. During a blizzard(s) he would have to get up in the middle of the night, get dressed, grab a bull whip and go out to the lot. He would put that whip on them to get them up and make them run, just so they wouldn't freeze to death. Several of those Little House books were excellent. Besides being interesting, even for an adult, they make the reader appreciate what we have now.

Craig-TX

Have you ever noticed that after it's been 20 or 30 below that it gets up to 10 below and you start to think it's balmy??

Yahoo I love Canada in the winter! And we don't have chinooks here in the East!

Vicki... :lol: where it's -12 and snowing, about 2 feet of snow on the ground, drifts well over 6 feet deep almost everywhere!

I grew up in Nebraska and have been in south Texas about 1 year now. No breaking ice on tanks or creeks; (even sometimes with a heater) no frozen cow pies or pee for months on end! Hurts stubbing your toe on a tall mound of cow poop and/or slipping & falling on a small pond of frozen pee. If I moved north & had lived here most of my life I'd wonder why ya'll go through that! :roll: Down here I've had to break ice ONCE; & that was pretty thin back in mid-December. We just have to deal with the never-ending growing brush around here! I feel for you all up in the colder states--I like & miss the snow; but NOT the cold!!
Keep warm & SAFE!!
Jay

how in the world do yall heat your houses up there in the north country with out going broke? i use electric heat pumps.when i opened my bill today i had to go change my draaws right quick.485 dollars. an its only been 18 degrees for the lows. i cant amagen -49. good greef!!~~~~~~~~~~Tc

No school again tomorrow! Out Monday through Wednesday for ice, went back today and was sent home early when sleet and freezing drizzle started to fall. Temp is supposed to drop to around 0 tonight with -15 windchill. Three heifers due to calve any day - I love it! I'm just glad we aren't having to deal with what you northerners are facing! I'm not sure I love it that much!

Latest posts