Weather Report from Australia.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
We are experiencing a fairly stable weather pattern at the moment. Our days have been quite mild for this time of the year at around 16 C when usually they should be about 12 C most days. Down on the coast they have had 20 to 24 C which is very pleasant.
I thought we would have had another cold burst by now,like we did two weeks ago.
Darwin right up north (not far from Indonesia) had their coldest morning for many years a few days back. They had a low of 16 C. Usually their winter temps would range from 24 c up to 32C.
32C is a hot summers day for us up in the mountains.
Most of the coastal people are still cleaning up after the flooding they had.
Burnt some Love grass late yesterday to get some green pick for the cattle. Love grass is regarded as a pest around these parts,especially the giant stuff,the small type isn't quite as bad.
We have noticed that our Brahmans and South Devons will eat it though the Herefords don't like it as much.
Through the drought and droughts that we are always having any one who had a cover of lovegrass had reasonable conditioned cattle. Its utilised especially if a molasses type mix is used in the paddocks where it predominates.
The only way to control it is to burn it or cultivate it out. After its burnt it needs to be heavily stocked.
Enough ramblings from my place.
Colin

For all yall that are wondering really how cold it is there, I teach my students a little poem for the metric system.

Celsius Poem
30's hot
20's nice
10's cool
0's ice

We are in for a cold weekend,possibility of snow and sleet on the higher parts of our region. Blizzards on the go down south tonight. Expecting floodlike rains on the south coast of our state. Expect 4 to 8 inches over the next day/night. Bit cool here tonight but not too bad.

Colin

Bitterly cold here today. Wind chill bad. Sleet. Snow on the mountains down south and starting to fall close by now on the higher range to our west and south.
All the cows with newborns are huddled together,protecting their babies. Had one new SD calf born this morning.
The Brahmans are all huddled together back to back. Our Brahmans all stick together,they don't associate much with our other breeds.
I'll try and keep warm.
Colin

Latest posts