Weather predictions......

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Watched the weather yesterday morning and it looked clear until toward the end of the week. Mowed about 50 acres yesterday, started early and cut to dark. I came in beyond tired and checked the weather again and now it looks like a monsoon coming in. How can weather predictions change so quickly?

jltrent said:
Watched the weather yesterday morning and it looked clear until toward the end of the week. Mowed about 50 acres yesterday, started early and cut to dark. I came in beyond tired and checked the weather again and now it looks like a monsoon coming in. How can weather predictions change so quickly?

Weatherman is the only job you can be wrong 100% of the time and stay employed.

Caustic Burno said:
jltrent said:

Weatherman is the only job you can be wrong 100% of the time and stay employed.

Wrong. Dumocrat politicians share the same luxury :hide:

Nothing but 98 degree temps and sunshine here for next 10-12 days. Had three cows in heat..... bull was giving them all rain checks. :hide:

We did the same, on Saturday, only cut about 10 acres and then he decided not to go to the other field and do the 9+ there. Less than 20% chance for 3 days at least. Around midnight I woke up to rain on the roof. Only got a little here, but it downright poured buckets 18 mi north in Staunton; has gully washes everywhere, the town park an d duck pond look like gravel trails....
So tedded it out around noon after the ground had a chance to dry inbetween the windrows.... we'll see what it looks like tomorrow to rake. Calling for temps to hit mid-upper 90's on Tuesday.... was 94 today.

Gotta roll with it, they sure don't know anymore than I do I don't think.

Did y'all get it up? They screw me at least once a year with this one. Got me this spring the same way. I have about 100 acres that needs cut but between the random showers and storms and the humidity above 50% I don't see any way of getting it dry 90 degrees or not.

SmokinM said:
Did y'all get it up? They screw me at least once a year with this one. Got me this spring the same way. I have about 100 acres that needs cut but between the random showers and storms and the humidity above 50% I don't see any way of getting it dry 90 degrees or not.
I have to confess I got most of it up, but had to sin a little. Sunday was a supper drying day, so that evening the son was home with his church clothes on and dress shoes, so I put him on the rake tractor. I baled until dark 30 and the next day (Monday yesterday) I was by myself and it started out foggy, as I live on the river, but got started as early as possible. I was going to town and at about 3:30pm the sky opened up (rained like pouring out of a boot with wind that about destroyed my tomato plants.) I lacked about 4 acres getting it up and, it was some nice hay left, as loaded with Johnson grass as thick as the hair on a dogs back.

I try to not work on Sunday, but sometimes the ox is in the ditch. Use to have a neighbor who was a 7 day Adventist and if he did not do nothing the rest of the week on Sunday he made sure to be seen working.

The monsoon looks to continue the rest of the week so what is left is gone.

jltrent said:
SmokinM said:
I have to confess I got most of it up, but had to sin a little. Sunday was a supper drying day, so that evening the son was home with his church clothes on and dress shoes, so I put him on the rake tractor. I baled until dark 30 and the next day (Monday yesterday) I was by myself and it started out foggy, as I live on the river, but got started as early as possible. I was going to town and at about 3:30pm the sky opened up (rained like pouring out of a boot with wind that about destroyed my tomato plants.) I lacked about 4 acres getting it up and, it was some nice hay left, as loaded with Johnson grass as thick as the hair on a dogs back.

I try to not work on Sunday, but sometimes the ox is in the ditch. Use to have a neighbor who was a 7 day Adventist and if he did not do nothing the rest of the week on Sunday he made sure to be seen working.

The monsoon looks to continue the rest of the week so what is left is gone.
We got barely a sprinkle out of that storm. Muddy at the farm and looked like even more your way

Got about 8/10th of an inch in about 10 minutes and sprinkled for a while after.

We cut 20 acres of second cutting Thursday, then they started calling for rain the next day. There was rain 5 miles north of us and heavy thunderstorms 20 miles south of us but we got spared. Put up some of the nicest alfalfa/clover/timothy hay in a long time. It's probably worth more to sell the hay outright than to run it thru the cows.

Got ours tedded out, on Sunday, then I raked it after the heavy dew and fog dried up on the top, on Monday, noon time. Texted my son and said some green so bale as late as you can. He got there and said there were a few bad spots and he rolled them on the outside of the bales. It was 93 or so and it dried pretty good. Glad we didn't do the other 9 acres.

Sorry you lost the 4 acres but really glad you managed to get the most of it. We got a shower this afternoon, but there was heavier rain around, and supposed to be wet for the next week....